drank Mutan White by Harney & Sons

Nice mouth feel, a little thicker than you might expect from the color and aroma. The liquor is light amber, and there’s a hint of sweetness in the mostly vegetal flavor. A slight bitterness shows up as the tea cools. This is a pleasant, basic white.

Something this tea taught me is the usefulness of weighing dry leaves. We’re all told “one teaspoon per cup,” with that cup being six or eight fluid ounces depending on who’s talking, but that really only works if your tea comes in small particles. Some orthodox leaves, like Keemun, do that, but the big ones require a lot more tea by volume. Using a small electronic scale that can measure tenths of a gram, I try to measure out 2.2 grams of leaf per six ounces of water, which for Mutan white turns out to be a couple of tablespoons’ worth.

Graduate student, musician and enthusiastic tea drinker. I’m only beginning to explore some parts of the tea world, but am rapidly developing a good sense of what I like.

Just FYI, I tend not to rate by number. Quantification is too tempting: let’s worry less about digits and more about the details.

New York, NY