I just got my mystery swap from BrewTEAlly Sweet today and this is the first sample I decided to brew. I looked it up on Steepster first and gee are you lot hard on this one or what?! I expect that I will need two bags of most bagged teas for a strong enough brew, so comments about weakness weren’t such a concern.

But really, I don’t see what the big deal is except that maybe we are all getting too spoiled with premium loose teas these days? It’s a bagged tea people, it’s not going to taste super gourmet. Now, this doesn’t mean that I’m cheering for it either, I used two bags and the clove and orange came through plenty strong (EDIT: heh, just saw that orange isn’t listed in the ingredients. I guess it’s the blend of apple and licorice that’s coming out orange-y). I think that it could use more cinnamon, but overall it’s a pleasant drink. There is a sweet aftertaste too that is not obnoxious as some can be. I probably won’t go out of my way to buy it and I won’t be recommending it to all my friends, but I reserve my ‘red- range’ ratings for the teas that are physically and mentally painful for me to drink. This is not one of them.

Name: Shelley Lorraine Limegrover
Location: Colorado
Occupation: Graduate Student and Evil Genius
Ward: 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, 1 Cocker spaniel, 1 super cranky but lovable siamese cat, one bipolar black turkish angora, and my husband’s black and white cat.

Hobbies: Learning, reading books, math, physics (have a degree in it), literature (have a degree in it too), anthropology, traveling, piano, and making TEA, of course (^o^)

Future plans: World domination >-)

Favorite teas: Kukicha, Green teas in general, aged oolongs, charcoal roasted oolong, taiwanese oolongs, Assam . . .

Don’t like: Genmaicha, Earl Grey, Darjeelings, ginger, coconut, smokey teas (even mild ones), nut flavors, overwhelmingly strong floral flavor (esp. Jasmine), most della derra and adagio teas. . .

My Rating System

100 My happiness absolutely depends on it

95 Will definitely repurchase

85: Might repurchase (teas that depend on my mood)

75 Won’t repurchase (but I would drink it again if offered).

65: meh

45: I reluctantly finished a cup.

15: Couldn’t finish a cup.

I simplified my ratings to single numbers rather than ranges because I can’t precisely compare so many teas with a system more detailed than this.

An unrated tea is most often one that I recognize as having significant notable quality, but that does not suit me personally. Sometimes, I leave teas unrated for other reasons, such as I am undecided or I brewed it wrong, etc.

Note: Boiling temp. barely reaches 200 where I am (and a few times it sticks at 195, I assume due to unexplainable shifts in altitude or the position of the moon. . .aliens?. . .).

Colorado