I brewed this as my back up tea in case I didn’t like the Cherry Mocha that I just logged (which, I didn’t). Sure, this is a new tea for me so I shouldn’t have been so confident, but I’ve never had a straight black tea that wasn’t at least ok enough. This tea tastes like buttery mushroom “enhanced” Laoshan black. Maybe that is supposed to be sweet potato that I taste, but it’s coming through all wrong. If I had to choose, I’d take Laoshan black over this one.

I think it’s that creamy buttery texture that bothers me most. I was trying to finish my cup, but that texture is making me a bit nauseous.

ETA: how am I really the only one who doesn’t like this? I know I am ‘different’ in many ways from the general populous, but come on… I should be able to find a completely positive reviewed tea and trust that I will like it too. I feel so left out!

greenteafairy

I haven’t tried this particular tea, but I’ve found myself disliking quite a few popular teas on here. And then I have some favorites that aren’t terribly well-liked (or just don’t get much attention, period). I think I’m a less sensitive taster than a lot of people here, so that may play a role, but it doesn’t explain everything. Anyway, buttery mushroom tea does not sound appealing – I see a lot of reviews describing various teas as having mushroom notes, and it’s often meant as a good thing, but I just can’t see it!

Shelley_Lorraine

I am sensitive to everything, especially textures. I did not like the texture of this one. It technically isn’t supposed to have mushroom notes, but that’s what it seemed to me. I don’t like mushrooms though, so of course it’s a negative for me.

Rie

Maybe you’re a supertaster? :D Apparently, many people who are ‘picky eaters’ are just very sensitive ‘supertasters’ for certain categories of taste. I don’t know much about it, but I’ve heard about it often, with very little rebuttal.

Terri HarpLady

Shelley, you are not alone.
My early steepings of this tea actually made me nauseous (feel free to read my earliest reviews of it). I had initially purchased an oz or so, as my experiences with Verdant’s teas have been wonderful. Then I received more in my TOMC package. It is my least favorite of their teas. Something about it just doesn’t resonate for me, tends to irritate my stomach, & yet, I have continued to sample it from time to time, trying it several different ways, in an effort to keep an open mind. As I recall, my best results have been gongfu style.

Shelley_Lorraine

@Rie: A supertaster, that makes me sound impressive! :) I’ll probably regret admitting this later, but my problem isn’t so impressive as it is autistic. I have the form formerly known as ‘Aspergers.’ I drive myself and my family nuts with the extent of my sensitivities. Taste and smell is indeed my biggest “superpower.” Sometimes I think I can smell better than my dogs.
@Terry HarpLady: Yes, I do see your review now. It was the numbered ratings that I was commenting on; all of them being super high. With so many good teas out there, why should I waste valuable teatime with a finicky one? I don’t want to have to go through an elaborate ceremony, bow to the tea three times, walk around with it on my head and ask it about its feelings today before it produces something decent. :p

Rie

Shelley: The basic fact that you can sense degrees that most of us can not, is super! I hope that regret isn’t caused by what we might think here (‘^’)? we can know you as both having autistic sensivities and impressive sense superpowers, they’re not ‘mutually exclusive’ (is the term?), still knowing the same super-capable ‘you’.

Comments

greenteafairy

Terri HarpLady

Shelley, you are not alone.

Name: Shelley Lorraine Limegrover
Location: Wyoming
Occupation: Student and Evil Genius
Ward: 3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, 1 Cocker spaniel, 1 super cranky but lovable siamese cat, one bipolar black turkish angora, and my husband’s black and white cat.

Hobbies: Learning, reading books, math, physics (have a degree in it), literature (have a degree in it too), anthropology, traveling, piano, and making TEA, of course (^o^)

Future plans: World domination >-)
Graduate school for Comparative literature (in German, Latin, and Greek) (this will be my 4th degree, but first/only graduate one :) )

Favorite teas: Kukicha, Green teas in general, aged oolongs, charcoal roasted oolong, taiwanese oolongs, Assam . . .

Don’t like: Genmaicha, Earl Grey, Darjeelings, ginger, coconut, smokey teas (even mild ones), nut flavors, overwhelmingly strong floral flavor (esp. Jasmine), most della derra and adagio teas. . .

My Rating System

100 My happiness absolutely depends on it

95 Will definitely repurchase

85: Might repurchase (teas that depend on my mood)

75 Won’t repurchase (but I would drink it again if offered).

65: meh

45: I reluctantly finished a cup.

15: Couldn’t finish a cup.

I simplified my ratings to single numbers rather than ranges because I can’t precisely compare so many teas with a system more detailed than this.

An unrated tea most often one that I recognize as having significantly notable quality, but that does not suit me personally. Sometimes, I leave teas unrated for other reasons, such as I am undecided or I brewed it wrong, etc.

Note: Boiling temp. barely reaches 200 where I am (and a few times it sticks at 195, I assume due to unexplainable shifts in altitude or the position of the moon. . .aliens?. . .).

Wyoming