I was hesitant to try this sample. It’s no secret that I don’t like ginger, but I do love strawberries! The dry leaf smelled more of strawberry than ginger, so I decided it was safe enough.

Im so sad that the ginger comes through much stronger than the strawberry (I’m not picking up the toffee except slightly in the aroma). Strangely though, the ginger isn’t putting me off as much as I would expect. I still don’t like it, but it’s not making me sick (ginger has caused me more gag reflexes than I’d like to remember).

I would have liked to share this sample with my parents as I usually do with the 1-serving Butiki samples (serving in tiny sample cups), but my family is away this week. The are moving a U-haul of stuff up to their storage facility in Bozeman, MT. This is only the beginning. They never sold the house there and have been renting it out (the house that I lived in for 7 years before getting married; the longest I’ve ever lived in one house). My father’s original crazy business plans here never panned out and he’s been telecommuting for the same company he worked for in Bozeman. Needless to say, there’s no reason to stay here and they’ve been wanting to move back for some time. I don’t blame them. I wish I was going back to Bozeman too. I was really hoping they’d stay here another year as my husband and I will be here another year before our plans take us to Seattle. They won’t officially move until late August sometime, but that’s too soon! I hate major changes like this. I know it has to happen sooner or later, but later is always preferred. :(

Name: Shelley Lorraine Limegrover
Location: Wyoming
Occupation: Student and Evil Genius
Ward: 3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, 1 Cocker spaniel, 1 super cranky but lovable siamese cat, one bipolar black turkish angora, and my husband’s black and white cat.

Hobbies: Learning, reading books, math, physics (have a degree in it), literature (have a degree in it too), anthropology, traveling, piano, and making TEA, of course (^o^)

Future plans: World domination >-)
Graduate school for Comparative literature (in German, Latin, and Greek) – Update: I’m going to the University of Colorado in Fall 2014!! yay me!

Favorite teas: Kukicha, Green teas in general, aged oolongs, charcoal roasted oolong, taiwanese oolongs, Assam . . .

Don’t like: Genmaicha, Earl Grey, Darjeelings, ginger, coconut, smokey teas (even mild ones), nut flavors, overwhelmingly strong floral flavor (esp. Jasmine), most della derra and adagio teas. . .

My Rating System

100 My happiness absolutely depends on it

95 Will definitely repurchase

85: Might repurchase (teas that depend on my mood)

75 Won’t repurchase (but I would drink it again if offered).

65: meh

45: I reluctantly finished a cup.

15: Couldn’t finish a cup.

I simplified my ratings to single numbers rather than ranges because I can’t precisely compare so many teas with a system more detailed than this.

An unrated tea is most often one that I recognize as having significant notable quality, but that does not suit me personally. Sometimes, I leave teas unrated for other reasons, such as I am undecided or I brewed it wrong, etc.

Note: Boiling temp. barely reaches 200 where I am (and a few times it sticks at 195, I assume due to unexplainable shifts in altitude or the position of the moon. . .aliens?. . .).

Wyoming