This is the strangest looking tea. The leaves look like little pebbles. After steeping for 3 minutes, only a few of them opened up (I was wondering if that would even be possible :) ) Although most of the leaves remained in their pebbly shells, they produced a flavorful cup (it’s supposed to be good for 4+ infusions, so Im sure the leaves will all open eventually). The smell reminds me of these things that my mother used to buy long ago as a homeopathic remedy for ADHD (for my bro) and anxiety (for the rest of us). I don’t remember what they were called, but they were chewy algae things. I think they were also sold in other forms, but we got the chewy things.

I would hardly recognize this as an oolong if it didn’t say oolong on the package. It has a strong barley flavor, but not the same kind that I associate with many white teas. There is also a recognizable licorice aftertaste just as indicated in the description.

Over all its a good cup of tea, but probably no one I’d have everyday.

Name: Shelley Lorraine Limegrover
Location: Wyoming
Occupation: Student and Evil Genius
Ward: 3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, 1 Cocker spaniel, 1 super cranky but lovable siamese cat, one bipolar black turkish angora, and my husband’s black and white cat.

Hobbies: Learning, reading books, math, physics (have a degree in it), literature (have a degree in it too), anthropology, traveling, piano, and making TEA, of course (^o^)

Future plans: World domination >-)
Graduate school for Comparative literature (in German, Latin, and Greek) (this will be my 4th degree, but first/only graduate one :) )

Favorite teas: Kukicha, Green teas in general, aged oolongs, charcoal roasted oolong, taiwanese oolongs, Assam . . .

Don’t like: Genmaicha, Earl Grey, Darjeelings, ginger, coconut, smokey teas (even mild ones), nut flavors, overwhelmingly strong floral flavor (esp. Jasmine), most della derra and adagio teas. . .

My Rating System

100 My happiness absolutely depends on it

95 Will definitely repurchase

85: Might repurchase (teas that depend on my mood)

75 Won’t repurchase (but I would drink it again if offered).

65: meh

45: I reluctantly finished a cup.

15: Couldn’t finish a cup.

I simplified my ratings to single numbers rather than ranges because I can’t precisely compare so many teas with a system more detailed than this.

An unrated tea most often one that I recognize as having significantly notable quality, but that does not suit me personally. Sometimes, I leave teas unrated for other reasons, such as I am undecided or I brewed it wrong, etc.

Note: Boiling temp. barely reaches 200 where I am (and a few times it sticks at 195, I assume due to unexplainable shifts in altitude or the position of the moon. . .aliens?. . .).

Wyoming