Not being a big Darjeeling connoisseur myself, I’m doing my best to learn what qualifies as that sought-after ‘muscatel’ taste experience. And I’m pretty sure this tea is a perfect example of why there are so many Darjeeling fans out there!

Golden Tips Tea’s Pride of Darjeeling Rare 2nd Flush tea has most definitely been the standout Darjeeling from their selection – and the best of the many Golden Tips Teas I’ve reviewed to date. The dark dry leaves include some nice gold tips throughout, so expectations are set early on for a high quality brew.
And after steeping 1 tsp of leaves at boiling for 3 minutes, my bright, gold liquor shimmers in the sunlight. The aroma is simply intoxicating – wonderfully rich caramel and vanilla scents draw me in. And the taste doesn’t disappoint. I’m getting some hints of that sweet, grape ‘muscatel’ flavor but it’s so well balanced with those richer vanilla notes and an amazingly buttery texture, that it doesn’t overpower. In fact, I would have no problem comparing this to dessert wines made with muscatel grapes, it’s that smooth and balanced. A bit of astringency on the tip of the tongue gives it a nice brisk quality, but there’s no bitterness and I’m left with a clean finish in my mouth.
Several cups later, this tea has a very addictive taste and texture that makes me realize why there are so many fans of Darjeeling teas out there…and if you’re one of them, you should give this tea try.

Review by Tea Expert: Rebecca