drank Chinese Black Vanilla by Custom

It’s ready! & it’s delicious!!!! If you happen to have a good Chinese black (esp Fujian, if you like those chocolatey notes) tea that you love sans additions, a vanilla bean, and three weeks, I highly recommend you do this little project. Just cut a vanilla bean into 3 or 4 oz of the tea, wait 3 weeks, and Mmmmmmm. The vanilla bean mixes with the tea (which has it’s own chocolatey notes) and it’s all darkness and intoxication!!! Mmmm! That slightly leathery tarry true vanilla is almost too decadent to have in the light of day!

gmathis

You have the makings of a master tea blender!

SimplyJenW

I am going to do this! I even have all the teas you used!

TeaBrat

Glad your experiment went so well!

Angrboda

Part of me is intrigued because of the vanilla (you have turned me into a vanilla fiend! It’s your fault for being so inspiring about it!) and part of me is cringing a bit because of the Fujian base… Because… Fujian. You’d think I’d be all over that as a base, but there’s something vaguely sacred about Fujian black.

That said, what did you use for the base? I suspect my Tan Yang might be a little on the strong side for vanilla. Perhaps a Bai Lin?

JacquelineM

Angrboda – A half and half mix of Harney’s Wild Wuyi Black, and Zhi Tea’s Gong Fu Black, with one organic Madagascar vanilla bean cut into it. I felt that way a bit too, but also thought a high quality tea would be so nice with a natural flavor like a vanilla bean. What pushed me over the edge: the innovative blends Verdant tea was doing with high quality Chinese tea. I want to try their Earl so much!

Angrboda

I’ve been eyeing their elderberry spice pu-erh a bit. I’m really interested in the elderberry, but I have a strong suspicion that I won’t like the spice bit. I heard it’s ginger-y and I don’t like ginger. I’ve never seen elderberry flavoured tea before.

Comments

gmathis

You have the makings of a master tea blender!

SimplyJenW

I am going to do this! I even have all the teas you used!

TeaBrat

Glad your experiment went so well!

JacquelineM

My favorites:
Chinese black teas
A good “milk and sugar” English style black
Earl Grey (classic, and in all variations!)
Vanilla teas (classic, and in all variations!)
Jasmine, Rose, Violet and other froofy, flowery teas!
An Occasional Oolong