Many thanks to Doulton for this tea!

First off, I have to note what a stubborn donkey I am. Every time I have a non standard fare tea, I enjoy it so much, but I continue to tell myself I “only” like certain teas. This has to stop!

Case in point, this Darjeeling. Poor thing has been sitting in my tea drawer at work for a year I think. The sunny day inspired me to try something new and… here I am enjoying this fruity, piquant tea so much! It’s very green, and not as rich and wine-like as some of them I’ve had, but it’s very enjoyable. The touch of bitterness, tempered by a half teaspoon of sugar is one of the nicest things about it! I used to think people had to be crazy to talk about a pleasant bitterness, but I totally get it with Darjeelings, finally. Yum.

I am not saddened that this is no longer available (another thing I very much like about first flush Darjeelings is their ephemeral quality. There is only a little each year, once a year!). As I said, I do prefer them less green. But this has certainly inspired me to seek out another Darjeeling for my cupboard.

ashmanra

It was only after I read that the Chinese appreciate the palate clearing capability of astringent tea that I began to look at it as an acceptable attribute rather than a sign of poor quality tea! Some of them even burst into sweetness after the swallow. I have been enjoying that in some of the Teavivre greens.

Comments

ashmanra

My favorites:
Chinese black teas
A good “milk and sugar” English style black
Earl Grey (classic, and in all variations!)
Vanilla teas (classic, and in all variations!)
Jasmine, Rose, Violet and other froofy, flowery teas!
An Occasional Oolong