drank Assam Reserve by Teas Etc

Taking a break from my sewing for a late lunch (potato and red pepper frittata – yum!) and a good sit down with a cup of tea. My back is killing me from all the bending for cutting fabric!! To keep the sewing talk tea related – here is what I’m sewing with:

Photo courtesy of the shop I bought it from, Spool in Philadelphia. I made napkins!! I love cloth napkins :) They are reversible, and each one has a different, complimentary colored back, and topstitching all around.

Anyway – the tea review! I couldn’t help but revisit this tea, even though I just had it the other day. I am so happy to have another Thomas kind of tea that I almost didn’t believe it could be true! I had to test it again! I used a little more leaf (but did not increase the steeping time) and it is just phenomenal. All the things I love about Thomas are present: bready and malty and so honey sweet.

Thanks Rabs!!! I would never had thought to try this one on my own! Steepster once again makes miracles! :)

sophistre

That is adorable! I’m so envious of your sewing skills. I had a Japanese roommate in school and always wanted to learn to sew (it’s the most economic decision for a Japanese girl, since clothing stores over there are insanely expensive…she used to make the cutest things!). One day!

Tammy

Cute fabric!! Who is it by? I’m supposed to be on a fabric diet…but I think I need some of that :)

__Morgana__

I too am envious of those who can sew. When I was growing up, it was assured that you could make things for cheaper than you could buy them. Now I’m not so sure, if you want really nice fabric it’s pricey whether it’s on a bolt or on a hanger on a rack. I think it’s one of those things where if you’re into it you do it for the love, not for the economics, at least not anymore.

JacquelineM

sophistre – A lot of shops have fun beginner classes where you can make a bag or a skirt, and use their machine so you can try it out and see if you enjoy it. When you have time, give it a try :) There is so much on the internet too – I got my idea for how to do the napkins from the purl bee, which is from a shop in NYC called Purl Soho:

and my napkins were based on these:

Tammy – it’s Robert Kaufman Fabrics and this particular set of designs is by Louise Cunningham:

Morgana – you’re right – in the USA these days, you can buy clothing much cheaper than you can make it, but it’s “fast fashion” – i.e. it isn’t made to last beyond a few wearings and it is most likely made in a sweatshop. I also read in the NYT about how retailers such as H&M rather destroy surplus merchandise such as winter coats rather than donate them to charity. It just makes me sick so I try and stay out of that loop. I buy second hand when I can, try and make what I can, and buy moderately priced well made stuff when I can (and wear what I have til it falls apart :)

I am far from perfect – I just got a dress from Land’s End thinking they were such a good apple pie all American company and I ran across an article about a bunch of colleges pulling their agreements with them for licensed merchandise because of unfair labor practices in the factories they use in El Salvador.

This is one of those subjects that I could ramble on about for hours so I will stop now :)

Tammy

Thanks for the link. I just realized I have some Metro Market but somehow missed Metro Cafe. I’ll have to see if I can hunt some down. by the way I LOVE Pearl Soho too!!!

Comments

sophistre

__Morgana__

JacquelineM

and my napkins were based on these:

My favorites:
Chinese black teas
A good “milk and sugar” English style black
Earl Grey (classic, and in all variations!)
Vanilla teas (classic, and in all variations!)
Jasmine, Rose, Violet and other froofy, flowery teas!
An Occasional Oolong