drank Ruby #18 by A Southern Season

These leaves are GORGEOUS. Long and tinged with red! This is “Taiwan’s Only Black Tea” but it tastes VERY oolong-ish to me. I daresay a little Dragon Ball-ish! It has that sweet lovely pastry quality as it cools. Absolutely delicious!!! The other thing I love about it is that it’s quite the resteeper! The second infusion is sweet and pastry-ish too, and I am going to save my third steep for my noodle bowl lunch! I think this tea will be fantastic with food.

I didn’t expect to taste Dragon Ball qualities in this tea, so it was such a great surprise! I thought that I wouldn’t get to taste it for months and months – so this is like an extra bonus fantastic happy delight!

Once again, this is me being utterly spoiled by ashmanra!! Thank you!!!

ashmanra

I am glad you like it! I have always believed this tea is very oolong-ish because it is made by people who speicalize in oolongs. I have resteeped up to five times, though four is usually my limit.

JacquelineM

I’m having more right now with my lunch – sooooooo gooooooood!!!! I think I’m going to go for 4 because I have more hot water in my kettle and I love it!

JacquelineM

Also – to go on a little more about Miss Read – OMG they have handkerchief drills! You have no idea how that tickled me as a staunch handkerchief carrier! How I wish I could say “Class! Hankies out!”

ashmanra

Don’t you love it? I want to go live there.

mstar

who is currently selling this where I can mail order it?

teatime traveler

that was my question, from where can I mail order? JUST heard about it on The Splendid Table with Lynn’s guest Bill Waddington, who said it was its first time in the West, so I figured someone online would already have tasted it! Googled and found this group. Jacqueline, this may not be news to you but it tastes Oolongish because it IS. It’s a blend of Assam which, though from India, was favored by the Japanese who didn’t have enough room in their country to grow so they started growing it in their then colony of Taiwan. A guy in Taiwan started hybridizing the plants 48 years ago, in 1962. Forgot his name but Bill tells the story toward the end of the show at http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/ (Jan 8). I have a feeling that Waddington’s store would send it by mail. http://www.teasource.com/ Click on New Teas & Products. Yes, it’s there if you scroll down!! Whoever reads this, please let me know if anyone else offers it mail order. I am so excited to have found this group. And pardon my ignorance but is “A Southern Season” a store or someone’s sign on?

teatime traveler

oh, this is me again….looked up “A Southern Season” in quotes on google and it’s a store, should have looked before asking. will see if they mail-order, too.

ashmanra

This tea is also called Sun Moon Lake tea. I think the Southern Season price is about $5.95 per ounce? It resteeps beautifully. According to Southern Season, this does qualify as a black tea because of the oxidation level, but it looks like oolong, acts like oolong, tastes like…..a cross between blac and oolong! It is one of my favorites. Doesn’t need milk or sugar!

ashmanra

To order from Southern Season, call 800-253-3663. I have steeped their Ruby #18 for ten minutes or more without a hint of bitterness. Wonderful stuff! And the liquor can be quite pale, so it is rather startling to taste such complexity and richness! Another UNBELIEVABLE tea to experience from them is Wild Forest Oolong. It is expensive, but really really worth it. It was sold out for quite a while, but hopefully they have it back in. I give it to people just to watch their face after they swallow. The final note longers a long, long time. Really lovely. Costs about $11.95 an ounce. So worth it.

teatime traveler

Yes, I found out about their mail order at asouthernseason.com but must wait till Feb, times are tight. On the other hand, their price is MUCH better than that of the guy I heard on the radio; his is off the charts. I’ll also try to order the Wild Forest Oolong from A Southern Season, thanks for the tip, Ashmanra!

ashmanra

teatime traveler – Click follow on my page so you can send me your address in a private email and I will be happy to send you a sample of my Ruby #18.

Comments

ashmanra

ashmanra

Don’t you love it? I want to go live there.

mstar

who is currently selling this where I can mail order it?

My favorites:
Chinese black teas
A good “milk and sugar” English style black
Earl Grey (classic, and in all variations!)
Vanilla teas (classic, and in all variations!)
Jasmine, Rose, Violet and other froofy, flowery teas!
An Occasional Oolong