I found out because I was so very crazybusy today that Earl Grey Supreme makes a great cold brewed iced tea (my kettle water cooled before I could pour, then I left the cool water in my cup for hours before I realized it!). This is a mixed blessing, because now I’ll bet you anything that I will cold brew some Earl Grey Melange at home and say “Ach! This isn’t as good as Earl Grey Supreme iced!!!!! There is no going back!” and be a brat about it!

Seriously though – this is so smooth and delicious cold, and that little tart citrus peel edge works so well cold. I will be a semi brat, and finish my big tin of Earl Grey mixtures for iced tea, but then lead the luxe life and only use Earl Grey Supreme after that :)

Iced 8 min or more
Kashyap

its been my personal crusade to convince others to try cold steeping as a positive alternative to traditional hot/cold brew methods. The cold steeping draws out complexity and diminishes bitterness and increases the sweet profile. Too often I get wow’s from people who try it and yet find people willing to settle for the bitter-stale bite of CTC prebagged teas, whose directions ask you to stew them and chill them – exposing them to 2 points of bacterial loving temps and that shorten the shelf life of tea… If you also like Earl Grey, if you know how to make a simple syrup, use this tea and I bet it would make a wonderful compliment to pour over waffles, prosciutto, and blackberries

JacquelineM

That sounds delicious! I love making syrups! My most recent one was this herbal “cola” syrup which we are just in love with. We mix it with seltzer for a soda alternative:

I love cold brewing, and I think this will be my official start of having a pitcher in the refrigerator for the season :) Nothing so refreshing!

ashmanra

Jacqueline, I can’t wait to try this! Can you also pm the details of cold brewing to me?

Comments

Kashyap

JacquelineM

ashmanra

My favorites:
Chinese black teas
A good “milk and sugar” English style black
Earl Grey (classic, and in all variations!)
Vanilla teas (classic, and in all variations!)
Jasmine, Rose, Violet and other froofy, flowery teas!
An Occasional Oolong