-Preface
I’m still getting to know Pu-Erh, shu and sheng, I have only tried about half a dozen different teas over the last few months .
-Review
The dry leaf smells sweet and inviting, nothing like the first Pu erh I tried by adagio which smelled fishy. I rinse twice and Gongfu style I get rich smooth oily chocolately notes and Western brew I get earthy, bold, coffesque richness. As with other pue erhs I get a really unique buzz and of course the stomach gurgles.
-Soapbox
Overall my favorite shu to date( rishi’s tuo cha are actually second) and at $8/50g a price you cant beat not to mention it’s organic(not that organic means its better quality but it certainly isn’t a bad thing) since Im just starting in pu erh and learning about how its made until I familiarize myself and can afford to drink the good stuff(which will certainly not be"certified oragnic") I like the reassurance of knowing an inspector has at least walked through the production line once.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Leather

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Highly suggest trying a few from mandala even as a “newbie” to puerh. Special dark and the wild monk are both super delicious!

…..haha just saw your special dark note :) noble mark is also interesting (and on sale)

Jiāng Luo

lol yeah thanks though im debating making another purchase I literally just bought a bunch of stuff from mandala(and verdent and rishi…… and tea vivre :)

I haven’t had a chance to try many rishi teas yet but the others your mentioned are pretty tasty! :)

Jiāng Luo

Rishi tasting notes are always accurate unlike some companies cough cough verdant which seem a little far fetched so far. Anyway they hit the spot when they say smooth espresso if I were to close my eyes and drink the cup Id swear it was an oily rich smooth coffee.

Nice! I’ll have to. Add to my list for future purchases :)

Bonnie

I’m sure you’re already familiar with the puerh discussion board here on Steepster. mrmopar knows quite a bit about puerh. He even converted a full size refrigerator into a humidor for his puerh. (His real name is John) Anyway, a jewel of a guy! I’ve been drinking puerh for years now and prefer shu. After a few months I gave up on being fussy about it and followed my own instincts. Think of the workmen and women gathering on a cold day with a small fire, a pot and a chunk of puerh. Nothing fancy about it! Sometimes, a little milk or fruit goes into the pot…a spice… honey… or an herb mixture for the cold Winter as a curative. I play around with tea and learn from the experience as did the first tea drinkers. It’s the best way in my opinion.

Comments

Jiāng Luo

Nice! I’ll have to. Add to my list for future purchases :)

Bonnie

Reputable Companies I have narrowed down to over the years and my personal purchase preferences from each

Origin tea (Gao Shan Oolong)
Eco Cha (Taiwanese Teas)
Norbu (General all around good site)
Rishi (Great starter to get footing also daily drinker staples and high quality teaware)
Yunnan Sourcing (Teaware, Black, Pu er)
White2Tea (Pu er)
Essence of tea (Pu er)
Yuuki-Cha (Japanese Teas/Teaware)
Den’s Tea (Japanese Green)
Teavivre (Chinese Teas)

“You can go a week without food, but not a day without tea."

Numerical rating personal meaning
70-75
#Bulk#
Drinkable but would not purchase

76-80