This is the second of the two ‘mystery teas’ my mother gave me and I’m becoming even more sure that these teas were never mine since I usually hate rooibos (I make some exceptions, but not many).

I opened the bag and to my surprise the rooibos is mixed with a ton, and I mean a TON, of sliced almonds and some sort of yellow flower petal (calendula maybe?). I took a whiff and got a vaguely sweet smell that might be vanilla – or it might not. But mostly I’m just getting the distinct scent of rooibos.

Taking a sip I’m underwhelmed. I’m not tasting much of anything except the characteristic rooibos tart-earthiness mixed with a hint of something undefinable that’s faintly sweet. Like I said with the Strawberry Sencha I have no friggin’ clue how old these two teas are, but given how whimpy the flavours of both are I’m guessing that they’re past their prime.

Frankly I wouldn’t be able to tell that this is a vanilla tea without the label. Meh.

takgoti

Booo, disappointment.

Had to google calendula.

Jillian

The strawberry sencha one I might keep, if only because it still has something resembling a good flavour left. This one will probably be turned into compost for the garden come spring (since I can’t in good conscious pawn this off on someone else).

Comments

takgoti

Booo, disappointment.