This tea is practically MADE for multiple steepings. The dry leaves are loosely rolled and the first steeping, which is only 30 sec, is enough to draw out a bit of the flavour, but because the leaves haven’t unrolled it’s quite light, the infusion a pale gold colour.

The 2nd infusion is for 1.5 minutes and this time the leaves have started to uncurl into more leaf-like shapes. The liquid is the colour of golden honey and spinach-bread taste is more prounced and robust (I use the term ‘robust’ relatively – it’s no where near the robustness of an Assam or other black tea).

Upon the third infusion (2.5 minutes) I can see that the leaves are quite green-looking, interestingly enough. Are Ti Kuan Yins supposed to be some of the lesser-oxidized oolongs? The taste is more vegetal this time and not as robust as the last steeping. I think I’ll leave it at three steepings for tonight, although I’m sure I could probably get at least another two steepings out of this tea.

205 °F / 96 °C
Auggy

I think traditional TKYs are more oxidized but more recently they’ve been going towards less oxidized. I’m sure there is some logic or deeper reasoning behind the migration but I don’t know what it is.

Marie

I was wondering about the TKYs. I haven’t tried them yet, but the Metropolitan Tea Co. distributes at TKY that I was curious about. Thanks for the tasting note! :)

Comments

Auggy

Marie