My fiancee noticed this tea one time when we met for lunch at The Secret Tea Room. We decided to go with a black tea instead, since it was such a snowy winter day, but I purchased some of this to surprise him with at home. Not being much of a rooibos lover myself, I never actually made a cup of it. My mom came over for lunch one day and made a cup, and I took a sip. It has a wonderful flavor, so I decided to make a cup before bed tonight. The dry blend is very pretty, with large yellow and orange petals and large sliced almond pieces. I can detect a little of the tobacco leaf smell in the dry leaves, and the tea liquor smells like warm vanilla. The flavor of this tea is a very soft vanilla, which is very nice with a little milk and sweetener. There is almost no rooibos flavor noticeable, which I appreciate, and it may be because all of the flavors balance so well. All in all, a very nice caffeine-free tea. I’m glad the fiancee picked out this one!

-Dry blend has red rooibos leaves, yellow and orange petals and sliced almonds.
-Dry leaves smell of rooibos with creamy vanilla and a hint of tobacco leaf. Tea liquor aroma is of warm vanilla.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium reddish brown color.
-Soft vanilla flavor and finish. Little rooibos aftertaste.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Good tea. Creamy vanilla cup.

Janefan

I was just at The Secret Tea Room a couple weeks ago, and had the same tea! I also ordered the salad with chicken that was poached in this tea, which was an interesting flavor on a salad since it was more sweet than savory. It was also very tender, almost creamy!

Tealizzy

That sounds delicious. I’ve been looking for a vanilla rooibos that’s not heavy on the rooibos.

Josie Jade

Janefan, I love the Secret Tea Room. I’ve had the salad with the green tea infused shrimp, very good. My current favorite is the cup of soup with a side salad and croissant with brie cheese, soooo good! The Downtown Abbey tea is my favorite. Are you in Greensboro too?!

Tealizzy, this is a really good tea if you don’t like rooibos. I think that this is probably the same blend from Culinary Teas. . .

Thanks for the tip!

Janefan

I’m going to get that salad next time I go to Secret Tea Room!

Comments

Janefan

Josie Jade

Thanks for the tip!

Janefan

I’m going to get that salad next time I go to Secret Tea Room!

Just a Southern girl who loves sunshine, little dogs and all things tea!

I love animals and animal rescue. We have a rescued Chihuahua, Greyhound, Siamese and 2 Tabbies. We also foster kittens for the local humane society.

My favorite teas are sweet and malty black teas but I try to branch out and taste them all. :)

“Come, let us have some tea and continue to talk about happy things.”

Rating Guide: