My package from Verdant Tea finally arrived yesterday and I was able to taste my first pu’erh. My longer review with photographs is in my blog:

I didn’t know what to expect… Knowing all I know about pu’erh and reading other peoples reactions to pu’erh I was prepared for all: the good, the bad and the ugly. It turns out I was only faced with good.

In the package the tea smelled very mildly and a bit sweet. The leaves were big, bunched up together and very dark.

I steeped it according to Verdant Tea website for Western Brewing: Rinsed the leaves at 208F, then steeped for 3 min at 205F. Resulting liquid was dark reddish brown and very clear. It smelled of woods and mushrooms and pine. As a matter of fact, I got an instantaneous flashback of the mushroom picking trips with my grandpa as a child. The taste was mild, full bodied with that woody, earthy flavor. There was even, ever so mild astringency building up on the back of the tongue towards the end of the sip, but which disappeared when the sip was over.

It was getting really late at night so I only re-steeped it once more. Once again at 205F for 3 minutes. I was shocked to find out that the tea was actually darker and stronger with this second steep. Still full bodied with a wonderful earthy flavor. Next time I will definitely start this a bit earlier in the day so I can steep until the flavor runs out.

All in all I really enjoyed this tea and I’m glad to be in the club of people that drink pu’erh! Now I have to try sheng and compare the two. :D

Edited to add: I almost forgot!! While I was sitting and enjoying the cup, all of a sudden I got a head rush. I’ve heard about pu’erh doing this to people but I totally forgot and it took me by surprise. It was mild, but I definitely felt like I was on something… lol

Sandy'sCuppa

Just ordered my first pu’erh I can’t wait for it to get here!!

Comments

Sandy'sCuppa

Just ordered my first pu’erh I can’t wait for it to get here!!

It’s been a while since I joined Steepster and I think it’s time to write up a bio.

I’m a stay at home, married mom with 5 kids, most of them grown up. Only one remains with us now, my 7 year old sunshine which I push out of the house to school every morning and it’s not an easy thing to do.

I’m an avid gardener during a growing season and my goal is to grow most of the food we eat and save some for winter too. I’m also an artist and a huge nerd. I read books, I play computer games. My very first game was World of Warcraft (was addicted to it solid for a year, lol), then came Skyrim, Minecraft (with my 7 year old) and few others less memorable along the way.

I began drinking tea on regular basis just over 2 years ago when I decided to kick my morning coffee habit. It wasn’t pretty… I couldn’t function for 3 days straight but survived. A year ago I discovered loose tea and found Steepster… The rest is history.

Some of the staples in my cupboard are Dragonwell green tea, Japanese sencha, Silver Needle white tea, green roobois, darjeeling and pu’erh. I also drink variety of flavored teas for fun and I like to order tisanes and mix them with straight teas for even more variety.

Recently I found out how much I love oolong so will be stocking up on that as well.

There are few other tea lovers in my family: my mom and dad, my oldest daughter, my son and my youngest 7 year old. She loves when I try out different teas and I always have to remember to make enough for her to have a little taste.

Ontario, Canada