drank Gooey Butter Cake by 52teas

I have never had gooey butter cake but I find the thought of it absolutely delicious and the picture on the front of this one just looks so delightfully sinful and yummy.

This arrived a few weeks ago but I had a cold at the time and couldn’t taste diddley squat so I have had to put off the tasting session until this morning. I kept looking at it every day thinking “I will be admiring you soon” and soon never seemed soon enough.

Raw this has a lovely black and gold mixture in colour and it smells like creamy vanilla and sweet lemon (the lemon surprised me). I had a good look at gooey butter cake recipes online and none have mentioned having lemon in them but I am thinking that maybe this might be a personal twist on the classic recipe.

I noticed that other tasters mentioned adding milk and sugar but I am going to try my first cup ‘au natural’. Especially if this tastes as it smells then I will be in creamy lemon heaven.

Smell wise once brewed this has taken on a slightly earthier tone which is probably from the black tea but the vanilla and lemon still peak through quite strongly.

I may have over steeped this for a minute or so as the black tea is quite strong and has a slight bitterness to it. I do like my black tea’s strong but I think that with the lemon in this tea that strength is not necessary. The flavours do taste as it smells (creamy lemony and smooth) and the black is a dark and roasted kind of taste.

I honestly cannot taste cake or a dessert at all but it is very nice. It’s just more of a creamy lemon drink which may be creamier with added milk. I suppose I can try that now. Dashes off to put a drop of milk in. It now has milk and has cooled down slightly, well it does taste creamier and some of the bitterness from the black has gone so it’s much smoother and creamier (both of which are positive). Still creamy and lemony just a lot more so with the milk.

It’s a nice drink as I love lemon and if you were to argue it was cakey then it would be some sort of lemon cake (lemon squares, lemon pound cake etc) but I can’t taste any butter. I think the vanilla like flavour is meant to mimic the butter but I just taste more vanilla then butter and with the lemon being over the top of the two flavours it’s hard to define it.

I will have no problem finishing the rest of this pouch but I am slightly disappointed that it doesn’t taste as I imagined.

I am 26 years old from Leicester, England. I have been drinking tea for many years now and have been getting more and more appreciative about good tea’s. I like to try new and exciting tea’s and import regularly as a treat.

I adore cats and have four of my own called Honey, Cassie, Mr Soots and Ivory.

I am also an avid reader and enjoy curling up with a book (mostly crime, horror, thriller, literature genres) in one hand and a cup of tea in the other.

I also enjoy watching Japanese Anime and horror films.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom