Thank you Kittenna for this sample.

Spring cleaning came early this year and I have spent the day cleaning, sorting and hoovering the downstairs of my house which did not come without my many grumbles and groans. I hate cleaning, but someone has to do it. I just polished off the last of my real wine to celebrate a job well done and after starting to feel a little tipsy I thought it was best to have a nice cup of tea. Then I had the thought..when in Rome… wine tea.

The loose tea looks like your standard bog standard black tea but it’s the aroma that is rather interesting. It’s a sort of fermentedly dark and fruity affair that is sweet and fairly potent.

After a 3 minute steep the water is a reddy brown colour similar to mahogany (not quite passable as red wine). It’s scent is still fruity but the strength has weakened, grape would be a reasonable fruit to compare with it’s scent.

And then there is the taste. It’s gentle, smooth, a little fruity with subtle sweetness and a slight maltyness. There is also a little dryness which becomes noticeable after a good few mouthfuls. Also the sweetness increases and picks up a floral hint. It really reminds me of a Yunnan tea as it has the same rich malty tones.

Well it’s certainly sweet and there is something winey about it so it does live up to it’s name but I’m sorry to say for me it does not substitute the real thing. It is pretty tasty though and a great novelty drink.

I will leave you with a poem.
“We had a kettle; we let it leak:
Our not repairing made it worse.
We haven’t had any tea for a week…
The bottom is out of the Universe.”
― Rudyard Kipling