Earl Grey is one of my favourites and I was more than thrilled to receive this sample. My husband is also a lover of Earl Grey so tonight we are sitting down and having a large teapot which uses my 10g sample which works out to roughly 3 teabags.

Before I steep I should note the loose tea looks like your average Earl Grey (dark brown small twisted and finely cut leaves) but with it came a tremendously strong whiff of fresh orange. Almost like orange essential oil, waxy yet sweet.

In my teapot goes the water and all I will be adding is a little milk.

The tea has steeped very nicely in my new teapot. With the milk added it smells very sweet and orangey with a slight earthy background.

Sipping a few times has definitely put a smile on my face. It’s naturally sweet, strong and smooth which is exactly what I look for in an Earl Grey. The reason I love Earl Grey so much is mostly because of the bergamot and I think what I look for the most with Earl Grey teas is strong but fresh bergamot/orange. This is strong but not quite to my personal liking, in other words I like this tea but I do not love it. It’s just missing that extra orange oomph that makes me go wow.

Still this does beat most bagged Earl Greys and it is certainly fresh and potent. My husband who drinks Earl Grey every day agree’s that while he can tell this is fresh it would be hard to differentiate between this and another fresh Earl Grey. But considering this was the basic Earl Grey and along with this I receive a sample of organic Darjeeling Earl Grey I would say I have not been off to a bad start.

So yes it’s true, this is a classic Earl Grey and while it’s not as special as it could be it’s still pretty darn tasty.