drank Hojicha by Jing Tea

Japanese teas are so fun to say. Hojicha … HOOJICHAA! :)

It always interests me when a green tea is not actually green in colour much like this tea. In appearance Hojicha is brown and looks like autumn leaves with no real significance. They are sharp, crisp and smell like toasted rice cakes.

The Jing packaging says to measure 1 tea spoon of leaves per cup and infuse for 3 minutes. I’m thinking of trying this in my Gongfu so I’m putting one and half spoons of leaves to get two cups worth of tea. (One for me and one for my husband).

Whilst the leaves are steeping I notice that they are floating in the top of my Gongfu, slowly they are sinking down one by one as they expand in the water.

Once infused the tea is a golden yellow colour with a thick rice and floral scent. Very similar to it’s raw form in smell.

My first sips reveal sweetness with toasted rice behind it. It starts of reasonably strong before mellowing out quickly in my mouth which leaves a sweet foggy after taste. It’s similar to Genmaicha or Lan Gui Ren but not as thick or heavy, it most certainly does not taste like a green tea.

The second steep was infused for 4 minutes and it’s much more delicate and for me preferable. It picks up a more pronounced floral hint and the sweetness is much more subtle.

Overall I don’t think this tea is for me, it tastes too similar to many other teas I already have and well it’s just not as nice. I think I will stick with my Lan Gui Ren the next time I want a rice cake tea.

CrowKettle

Ah, not one of my favourites either, but it is a good accompaniment to a heavy meal. I’ll have to check out that Lan Gui Ren!

Kasumi no Chajin

interested in Lan Gui Ren now too…even though I adore Hojicha.

KittyLovesTea

It’s not that there is anything wrong with it but nor is there anything special about it either (in my opinion). As for the Lan Gui Ren it was very different yet similar, not only did it have the toasted rice cake charm but it’s also vegetal, sweet and fresh in a floral sort of way. I certainly recommend it :)

darky

hm wanted to try this one sooner or later, but if its really that look a like to genmaicha then i’m probably going to pass

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Okay I am so glad I’m not the only one who has fun saying ho-jee-cha! lol

Comments

CrowKettle

Kasumi no Chajin

interested in Lan Gui Ren now too…even though I adore Hojicha.

KittyLovesTea

darky

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Okay I am so glad I’m not the only one who has fun saying ho-jee-cha! lol

I adore cats and have four of my own called Honey, Cassie, Mr Soots and Ivory.

I also enjoy watching Japanese Anime and horror films.

Dislikes: Licorice, aniseed, clove, eucalyptus, lavender.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom