The instructions for Gaiwan use states to use 95°C water and start with 1 minute infusions until the brick separates and continue with 45 seconds – 60 seconds steeps. It also recommends at least 10 servings per brick.

Steep One – 1 minute
Very little to describe as the brick is still compact but there is a gentle sweetness.

Steep Two – 1 minute
Light brown in colour with a subtle malt scent. A little flavour is present but again not much, it’s sweet, a little fruity and smooth.

Steep Three – 1 minute
My husband was first to note an almost citrus like tang which is still very subtle and my brick has yet to separate.

Steep Four – 1 minute
There is a sweet caramel tone that smooths over the citrus. Still the brick is whole.

Steep Five – 1 minute
It carries the caramel flavour well and remains very light and refreshing.

Steep Six – 1 minute
Brown in colour but still no real scent to speak of. The tea is still sweet and smooth with a little earthiness like dried Autumn leaves (which funnily enough is what this tea actually is). Still the brick is whole with only a few little bits that have been separated.

Steep Seven – 1 minute
Slight darker in colour with notable sweet yet musky malt tones in fragrance. Still silky smooth caramel sweetness but the fruit has been reduced to the after taste.

Steep Eight – 1 minute
Golden brown in colour with a stronger earthy malt scent. It slips down so easily like silk, delicious sweet caramel and fruit tones with dark chocolate highlights whilst remaining light.

Steep Nine – 1 minute
It’ starting to reduce in colour and flavour. It’s fruity once again with rich malt sweetness. Sort of like a citrus malt cake/loaf.

Steep Ten – 1 minute
I have decided the citrus notes resemble orange the most. Very subtle once again to leave me with a sweet smooth finish.

For pictures and more information please view my blog.

205 °F / 96 °C
Jen

I’m totally jealous, I’ve been dying to try tea from the Canton Tea Co but I live in the states and the shipping costs are too much for me to justify ordering some

KittyLovesTea

@Jen Yunnan Sourcing have a few of the exact same teas as Canton from the same suppliers but it’s cheaper and based in China so shipping to USA is average priced.

Thanks!

Comments

Jen

KittyLovesTea

Thanks!

I adore cats and have four of my own called Honey, Cassie, Mr Soots and Ivory.

I also enjoy watching Japanese Anime and horror films.

Dislikes: Licorice, aniseed, clove, eucalyptus, lavender.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom