Thank you very much for this sample Wan Ling Tea House. Another generous 5g sample for me to try. :)

The Oolong leaves are thin, long (roughly 3-4cm) and a little curly. The colour is dark brown almost black and they have a strong smoky wood and leather scent with hints of currant. Heavily oxidized and mature.

Brewing all 5g in my Gongfu teapot (just over 200ml) for three steeps.

First Steep – One Minute – The tea is golden brown in colour with a thick and toasted wooden and ricey aroma. Reminds me a little of toasted rice but much stronger. The first few sips reveal a deep toasted and smoky combination with hints of forest trees (wood and a very dark green flavour), mature currants and dry nuts. Also on the sweet side. For a quick 1 minute steep it’s delicious and full of flavour.

Second Steep – Two Minutes – A little richer in both scent and flavour now but the overall effect is the same as the first steep. Still with hints of smoke, toasted wood, a dark green leafy essence and a finish of dry nuts. It’s not as mature as some other Oolongs that I have in my collection but it’s still a very pleasing heavy roasted tea.

Third Steep – Three Minutes – Lighter in colour than the previous steep, resembling the first steep very much in colour and aroma. Flavour is much milder now however and unfortunately some characteristics have been lost. All that remains is the toasted wooden remains of a fine Oolong.

Overall – This is a very nice Oolong that offers the multitude of flavours that a mature, heavily roasted Oolong has but without the heaviness. It’s on the lighter side of being heavily roasted I should say. I really like that though, sometimes a full on heavy roast is just too much. The flavours remained consistent and I’m very happy with the quality and drinking experience.

This is something I would seriously consider purchasing when I finish my other heavily oxidized Oolongs.

Boiling

I adore cats and have four of my own called Honey, Cassie, Mr Soots and Ivory.

I also enjoy watching Japanese Anime and horror films.

Dislikes: Licorice, aniseed, clove, eucalyptus, lavender.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom