Thank you Wan Ling Tea House for this sample.

I’m house and dog sitting for my parents (again) for the week and I took a large hoard of tea with me to get through in my time here. This is the first sample I will be drinking to initiate my stay.

The leaves are long, thin and crisp which resemble miniature swords. They have a medium green colour with a silver glow and some small hairs. After a short breath of fresh air the leaves have a sweet and floral scent on the side of being perfumed but also with a hint of rich green grass.

Vessel Capacity: 200ml Gongfu Teapot
Tea Quantity: 5g (loose leaf)
Water Temperature: 75°C
Infusion Times (in seconds):
1st. 45
2nd. 60
3rd. 90

First Steep – The tea is light yellow once steeped with a subtle green and floral aroma, much toned down from it’s raw state. Flavour is sweet, green, floral, grassy and light. For a Mao Feng it’s very light and refreshing, much more than I was expecting but for me it’s preferable this way. No impurities or bitterness. I would maybe say it was on the verge of tasting like sweetpea mixed with fresh spinach.

Second Steep – This steep has increased it’s sweet essence but reduced the floralness and replaced it with a light vegetal taste. Fresh spinach is still very fitting for describing the flavour but much sweeter. Still overall it’s on the light end of the scale but very pleasurable. Sometimes all you want is a subtle green tea.

Third Steep – The most subtle of the three steeps but some flavour is present. Now it has tones of being sweet and green but unfortunately it’s spinach flavour has gone. :(

Overall it was a very light and refreshing Mao Feng with sweet floral and fresh spinach highlights. Thankfully there was no dryness or perfumed flavour in the after taste which made this a very pleasurable tea. Definitely one of the lightest Mao Feng that I have ever tried but it is something I would drink again.

170 °F / 76 °C