Just before Christmas I received a surprise letter from Canton tea which included a coupon for money off my next order and a 5g sample of their new Chocolate Tea. It was a very nice gesture and the tea was certainly appreciated so it has been lovingly stored for any day I want chocolate. That day is today.

Opening the packet released a pure chocolate scent, one of the most natural chocolate teas I have sniffed so far. I did note seeing chocolate chips amongst the blend too. It also had a vague vanilla after tone.

Steeped this via the recommended instructions.

First few sips reveal a malty and rather smoky black tea, smooth and silky in texture with a hint of sweetness. Not as chocolatey as it’s raw scent, in fact it’s more like cocoa nib, sour and strong with minimal sweetness. Not quite what I had in mind for Cantons so called luxurious Chocolate Tea.

I am liking the black tea base though, but I think it would be nicer without the sour chocolate. Maybe it’s just me but compared to someone like Della Terra’s chocolate teas this one is very subtle. I really was expecting more. If I was to do a blind taste test I would never have said chocolate, I would think it was just a nice black tea.

So while I really do like this black base tea (as my score will reflect) I don’t think it’s a nice chocolate tea due to the lack of actual chocolate flavour. Oh and I’m sure the vanilla will keep it smooth and creamy but in terms of flavour unfortunately the smoke element masks over it.

195 °F / 90 °C 2 min, 0 sec 5 g 17 OZ / 500 ML
donkeytiara

crap…i just ordered a small tin of this….should have read your review first….