I received a tea bag as a part of the sampler set. It was so wonderful to once again smell the grassy aroma! I haven’t drunk sencha (or any other tea) from Japan ever since I left.

Because no specific brewing instructions were given on the website or the provided pamphlets, I decided to see what others wrote on Steepster. The reviews varied, so I averaged out the temperature and steeping time (this was daring for me; I like to be given set instructions). I let the water heat up to approximately 180 degrees and steeped the bag for 1 minute. The result: a slightly murky dark green appearance (bit surprised by this) and a robust and bitter, fresh grassy flavor, which lingered nicely on the taste buds after swallowing.

For the second infusion, the temperature remained the same and I let the bag infuse for 1 minute and 30 seconds. This time, the appearance took on a light green. The flavor, of course, was grassy, but not as strong as it was before. This was the taste I was expecting prior to the first infusion. Nevertheless, I was more than pleased with both infusions.

The after effect: Invigorating! I would heartily recommend this tea to those who love sencha.

I began drinking tea because its complexity fascinated me. I love learning about the history, the manufacturing processes, and its place in various cultures.

My favorite teas are Japanese greens, and my favorite herbal tisanes are peppermint, lavender and chrysanthemum. I’m beginning to get into Wuyi oolongs and Chinese blacks, and am always open to exploring African teas. The only teas I truly dislike are fruity tisanes and the ones that have too much fruit. (Hibiscus, you’re alright if you’re cold.)

I’m an MFA graduate (nonfiction writing, specifically about nature), and an amateur birder as well as a tea enthusiast. I also like exercising, Tolkien, and Ancient Egypt (for the time being).

How I rate (I’m so used to the American grade system…….):

96-100 I absolutely adore everything about it. One of my absolute favorites. Like ambrosia!!

90-95 Superb quality and very enjoyable.

80-89 Delicious! Pleased with the overall quality.

70-79 Simply, I like it.

60-69 Overall “meh”. Not bad, but not terribly good.

0-59 NOPE.

If there is no rating – I don’t feel experienced enough to rate the tea, or said tea goes beyond rating.

Westchester, NY