This is the fourth from the sample pack that I’ve tasted. I must comment on the tea leaves: wet, they are a stunning dark green color! They are absolutely beautiful (and a pleasure to smell).

Naturally, the aroma is grassy, vegetal. The liquor takes on a light green and is somewhat cloudy. As for the flavor, this sencha lives up to its name: It is quite bitter, but not so in a bad way! It is also full-bodied and broth-like, leaves a strong aftertaste, and is slightly astringent.

As for the second steeping, the liquor is a bit more cloudy, and the flavor is silky, creamy, and slightly (very slightly) less bitter.

I drank these two cups of sencha while watching snow fall. Combining these two activities has made me feel doubly relaxed on this late afternoon.

I began drinking tea because its complexity fascinated me. I love learning about its history, its manufacturing processes, and its place in various cultures.

My favorite teas are Japanese greens, and my favorite herbal tisanes are peppermint, lavender and chrysanthemum. So far I like exploring dark oolongs, Chinese blacks, and, most recently, shou pu’erh. African teas are my babies. The only teas I truly dislike are fruity tisanes and the ones that have too much fruit. (Hibiscus – I actually like alone.)

I’m an MFA graduate who studied nonfiction writing. I mostly write nature essays. I’m birder as well as a tea enthusiast. I also like exercising, Tolkien, and Ancient Egypt.

How I rate:

96-100 I adore absolutely everything about it. A permanent addition to my stash.

90-95 Superb quality and extremely enjoyable, but not something I’d like to have in my stash all the time, only occasionally (might have to do with personal tastes, depending on what I say in the tasting note).

80-89 Delicious! Pleased with the overall quality.

70-79 Simply, I like it. There are qualities that I find good, but there also are things that aren’t, hence a lower rating that I would have otherwise like to put.

60-69 Overall “meh”. Not necessarily bad, but not necessarily good.

0-59 No.

If there is no rating: I don’t feel experienced enough to rate the tea, or said tea just goes beyond rating (in a positive way).

Westchester, NY