I received a sample of this tea from their catalog. Yay samples!

When I sniffed the tea bag, I only smelled the vanilla. (This could very well be due to my so-so culinary smelling abilities, but eh.) The aroma of the liquor, which had the clear, orange red tint of rooibos, smelled of the pomegranate. When I drank the tea hot, the flavor was tart – maybe partly due to the inclusion of hibiscus. I’ve had more tart teas (see RoT’s hibiscus tea, which I only drink iced), so this wasn’t so bad. The vanilla, meanwhile, appeared during the aftertaste. When the tea cooled to warm, verging lukewarm, it tasted a lot better. The pomegranate was not as tart and the vanilla had more of a presence. I think I would prefer this tea iced. All in all, pretty good.

I began drinking tea because its complexity fascinated me. I love learning about the history, the manufacturing processes, and its place in various cultures.

My favorite teas are Japanese greens and dark oolongs (Wuyi oolongs helped me discover that). My favorite herbal tisane is peppermint. I also love stove top brewed masala chai, hot or cold. The only teas I dislike are fruity tisanes and the ones that have too much fruit.

I’m a grad school student studying Nonfiction writing. I want to be a science writer because writing is awesome and science is awesome. I like animals, colors, astronomy, exercising, and writing and reading nonfiction.

Westchester, NY