Praise be, our 4th of July is overcast and cool with occasional rain. Such a relief after two days of hot, humid weather and two nights of thunderstorms. (Last night we actually had hail – the size of marbles!) A good day for a black tea such as this.

The dry leaf aroma has pleasant fruity notes, notably of apricot, peach, and dried kiwi (first time I detected kiwi in a non-flavored tea!). The aroma of the wet leaf, however, largely consists of malt with a hint of apricot. The liquor is reddish rust, full-bodied, and robust. When I first take a sip, malt is dominant. Again, the apricot is subtle, but it sticks out more and more as the liquor cools and the longer I let the tea sit in my mouth. It also delicately stays on the tongue during the aftertaste, when the malt nearly disappears entirely.

Cameron B.

Oh my goodness, tea twins! I just drank this! :D

KiwiDelight

high five!

Comments

Cameron B.

Oh my goodness, tea twins! I just drank this! :D

KiwiDelight

high five!

I began drinking tea because its complexity fascinated me. I love learning about its history, its manufacturing processes, and its place in various cultures.

My favorite teas are Japanese greens, and my favorite herbal tisanes are peppermint, lavender and chrysanthemum. So far I like exploring dark oolongs, Chinese blacks, and, most recently, shou pu’erh. African teas are my babies. The only teas I truly dislike are fruity tisanes and the ones that have too much fruit. (Hibiscus – I actually like alone.)

I’m an MFA graduate who studied nonfiction writing. I mostly write nature essays. I’m birder as well as a tea enthusiast. I also like exercising, Tolkien, and Ancient Egypt.

How I rate:

96-100 I adore absolutely everything about it. A permanent addition to my stash.

90-95 Superb quality and extremely enjoyable, but not something I’d like to have in my stash all the time, only occasionally (might have to do with personal tastes, depending on what I say in the tasting note).

80-89 Delicious! Pleased with the overall quality.

70-79 Simply, I like it. There are qualities that I find good, but there also are things that aren’t, hence a lower rating that I would have otherwise like to put.

60-69 Overall “meh”. Not necessarily bad, but not necessarily good.

0-59 No.

If there is no rating: I don’t feel experienced enough to rate the tea, or said tea just goes beyond rating (in a positive way).

Westchester, NY