I chose Blueberry White as my August sample. Recommended temperature is 200F but I lowered it a bit. I was baffled to see it was so high. For a white tea?? o_O Though based on the cup I’m currently having, it seems that brewing this at that temperature might not be as bad as I thought. I don’t understand white tea.

A deliciously flavored tea! The blueberry is light in both aroma and taste, and it blends well with the Shou Mei, which, as far I can discern, tastes like white tea. I rarely drink white teas – they’re too delicate and subtle and have an odd grassy flavor. With this one, the grass isn’t so bad since it has blueberry flavoring for a companion. A good balance. Good ol’ blueberry.

Cheri

This sounded really good. I figured it would be one of my selections next month.

KiwiDelight

I’ve made up my mind to get an ounce of this. I was originally going for the unflavored honeybush, but BLUEBERRY!! Hope you like it as much as I do.

Cameron B.

I feel like they shouldn’t have one of the slots be only white teas… They’re all shou mei so far, so how much variation can you get… I think they should have one slot be oolongs only and one be white OR puerh teas.

Cheri

What will you get as your other tea then?

KiwiDelight

Cameron B It could be that it’s just for two months in a row because they have left over Shou Mei (assuming they blend the teas themselves). I don’t specifically know what they included in past boxes because it’s my first. Maybe they’ve already done that.

Cheri Lady Earl Grey, Milk Oolong, and Four Seasons (sample)

Cameron B.

I dunno, I checked the past menus on their website and every single one is a flavored shou mei… Harumph.

KiwiDelight

Oh I didn’t do that durrrrrrr. “Harumph” indeed! You should send them your feedback.

Cameron B.

Yeah, I wrote them a note when I submitted my choices for next month! I chose Blueberry White, Lady Earl Grey, and a sample of Four Seasons. I’m glad I chose the Milk Oolong sample this time, I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would…

KiwiDelight

Sweet! I wanted to try different milk oolongs for comparison. Which is your third tea?

Cameron B.

I think it’s either get all five teas or pick two teas, isn’t it? Plus the sample from the next month.

KiwiDelight

ACK. I made it a mistake D: I’m just getting samples everything then…

Cameron B.

Honestly, I wish it were pick three. That way if there’s a tea I know I’ll hate, I don’t have to sacrifice two others in order to not get it. :P

Comments

Cheri

Cheri

What will you get as your other tea then?

KiwiDelight

Cheri Lady Earl Grey, Milk Oolong, and Four Seasons (sample)

KiwiDelight

ACK. I made it a mistake D: I’m just getting samples everything then…

Cameron B.

I began drinking tea because its complexity fascinated me. I love learning about its history, its manufacturing processes, and its place in various cultures.

My favorite teas are leafhopper oolongs and shou pu’erh, and my favorite herbal tisanes are spear/peppermint, lavender and chrysanthemum. I’m currently exploring shou and sheng pu’erh, and any Chinese and Taiwanese teas. African teas are my babies. I adore masala chai – I share with my dad every Friday (“chai Friday” – hee hee). The only teas I truly dislike are fruity tisanes and the ones that have too much fruit. I do like hisbiscus, especially iced, though. Not much of a fan of jin xuan either.

I’m an MFA graduate who studied nonfiction writing and am now an editorial assistant at a publishing company. I like to write nature essays. I’m birder as well as a tea enthusiast. I also like exercising, Tolkien, and Ancient Egypt.

IMPORTANT NOTE, PLEASE READ: After two and a half years of having an account here, I will no longer will provide numerical ratings as an addition to the review because the American school system has skewed my thoughts on numbers out of a hundred and the colors throw me off. Curses! My words are more than sufficient. If I really like what I have, I will “recommend”, and if I don’t, “not recommended”.

Key for past ratings:

96-100 I adore absolutely everything about it. A permanent addition to my stash.

90-95 Superb quality and extremely enjoyable, but not something I’d necessarily like to have in my stash (might have to do with personal tastes, depending on what I say in the tasting note).

80-89 Delicious! Pleased with the overall quality.

70-79 Simply, I like it. There are qualities that I find good, but there also are things that aren’t, hence a lower rating that I would have otherwise like to put.

60-69 Overall “meh”. Not necessarily bad, but not necessarily good.

0-59 No.

If there is no rating: I don’t feel experienced enough to rate the tea, or said tea just goes beyond rating (in a positive way).

Westchester, NY