Cute little Pu-erh individual piece wrapped nicely. The leaves pressed together are forest green colored.
This liquor does not smell the greatest to me. Then it smelled o.k.
The flavor is all bitter, no other flavors.
I love Seven Cups and have had some wonderful teas from them so I am wondering if I brewed this incorrectly.

From the Steepster Select Box, April 2014

5/11/14
Learning about puerh tea lots more now. The first time I tried this, I was unaware that it was sheng and very young.
I removed my other baby cake / toucha from the sealed pouch and am gonna let him age a bit before trying again :)

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
boychik

I would do 185F rinse and very short steeps 5/10/15 sec for maybe 6 oz of water. It’s sheng, treat it as green tea

Lee

The Steepster packet says 212F. I have not tried enough of these to know that that must be a typo :( Oh well

boychik

I hope you have more then one to try. Actually I prefer shu you should use boil water and either short steeps or long. You cannot overbrew shu(cooked). Sheng ( raw) becomes incredibly bitter with high temp and long steeps. My first tries were total failure;)

Lee

Oh thanks for the advice!! I have one more,,,will try again sometime soon :)

TeaBrat

yes I would definitely recommend trying at a lower temp as well..

Lee

Yes I prefer lower temps on teas and lower temp teas like white and green so I haven’t tried any pu-erhs like this and it said 212F for 3 minutes on the package :( Glad I have one more

Lion

I also brewed this at 212, though I only did about 10 second infusions. It was a bitter nightmare. I thought nearly all puerhs stand up to boiling temperature, regardless of raw or ripe. Is this wrong?

boychik

Only ripe. Unless you are looking for bitterness(some ppl like it, it’s an aquired taste)
This is young sheng, it will be bitter even with lower temps.

Comments

boychik

Lee

Oh thanks for the advice!! I have one more,,,will try again sometime soon :)

TeaBrat

yes I would definitely recommend trying at a lower temp as well..

Lion

boychik

This is young sheng, it will be bitter even with lower temps.

Tea is Life. I love Tea!

Pure Tea Flowers
Dried Citrus
Fresh Turmeric w/ Honey & Lemon

I like Ayurveda, Yoga, Zumba,
walking, stand-up comedy clubs.

Love chefs and foodies. Love veggies!!!!

Also enjoy bonsai, xeriscape gardening, my doggie, & all nature.

Preferred brewing method: Gaiwan

Favorite Varietals:
Ye Sheng (wild)
Yunnan Da Ye (large leaf)

Namaste!