drank Random Steepings by Various Artists

Assam Marangi
OR-187 Black Tea
by: Camellia Sinensis

I got a sample with my purchase from Camellia Sinensis (thank u C.S.!!) a few months ago and have not tried it until today,,,I am putting it into Random Steepings bc I can’t find enough info. on it (especially which flush it is) and it is out of stock now on their website so not sure which year, probably 2013.
Well I can see why it is out of stock! Deliciousness!!!

Origin: I do know that this is from the Marangi tea estate, India. I think it is a second flush but I have not had enough Assams to know for sure and am still learning.
Dry Leaf: Scents of roasted chocolate Malto-Meal cereal, dark dark brown and golden twisty threads.
Method: Western – 22oz classic shaped teapot – 1 tsp tea per 8 oz H2O – brewed 2 cups at a time at 200F for 3 minutes 10 seconds.
Wet Leaf: Roasted Idaho potato peel, dried apple, chocolate, and cherry scents. Leaves are chopped buds and young leaves all turned milk chocolate brown.
Liquor: Deep, rich amber color. Scents of chocolate, dried apple, cherry, smells delicious!
Flavor: Deep, rich, smooth, touch of cream, tiny tiny bit of orange peel, malt, hint of chocolate.
Very well balanced. As it cools, more malty goodness. I feel alert and ready for the day. So good and I like the tour of India I have been taking this last couple of days. I am definitely interested in this type of tea and this estate. Yumm.
__________________________________________________________________________
6/15/14
Having most of the rest of this sample this morning,,,yummmmm. Going to get some more from this estate.
____________________________________________________________________________
7/5/14
Having the last bit of this sample today. This is really delicious, especially with a splash of milk. I only had 1 tsp left so only got to have one cup and am very sad it is gone. Gonna order more in the fall.

0 OZ / 0 ML
donkeytiara

Lee, do you have a list of notes that you choose from? I didn’t realize til I saw your review of this tea that with Assams I often get a roasted idaho potato peel note! If you have no list, you are genius! I have a feeling I can learn lots from your reviews of assams!

Lee

Lol thank u,,no I don’t go by a list. I just taste. I used to do a lot of wine tastings so I guess I have that practice. I find tasting tea much more interesting bc you can drink it any time of day and morning is best for your palate. Tea rocks!!!!!!! Yes, I am definitely getting in to Indian teas :)

Comments

donkeytiara

Lee

Pure Tea Flowers
Dried Citrus
Fresh Turmeric w/ Honey & Lemon

I like Ayurveda, Yoga,
walking, stand-up comedy clubs.

Love chefs and foodies. Love veggies!!!!

Also enjoy bonsai, xeriscape gardening, my doggie, & all nature.

Preferred brewing method: Gaiwan

Favorite Varietals:
Ye Sheng (wild)
Yunnan Da Ye (large leaf)

Namaste!