Backlog: well… sort of. I’m on my second cup of this. The first cup was just so good that I couldn’t even spare time to type out a tasting note, I needed to focus on my cup of tea.

That is to say: Oh WoW! This is seriously GOOD!

Definitely one of the smoothest black blends I’ve come across. It’s so smooth that it doesn’t need milk or sugar to make it smooth … it just is. It doesn’t have a real “kick in the cup” type of quality that I generally look for when I consider a tea as a breakfast blend or morning blend versus a later in the day type of tea … but don’t let that fool you. It’s still invigorating and morning cuppa worthy – absolutely! It just takes a subtler approach toward the end goal – wakefulness!

It is bold yet smooth. Creamy with notes of malt and caramel, hints of chocolate in the background. Fruit notes – but the sweet fruit notes – of sweet date, grape, and even a hint of sweet apple. Now, imagine those fruits drizzled with honey. You get the idea.

By mid-cup, I notice some spices start to emerge. Slightly peppery, but very slightly, just enough to get the palate to notice something different in the background but not enough to disturb the smoothness of the cup. Maybe a hint of cinnamon.

Truly a remarkable blend. I would go so far as to say, if you had room for only one breakfast tea in your cupboard, this should be the one. I don’t think I could ever limit myself to just one, but, if I had to, this would probably be the one I chose. It’s so good… very good!!!

Londo Mollari

I was on their website the other day when they did the grand unveiling post, but was too timid to order a tin. With such a pretty website I am so glad to hear the tea lives up to the image! I am not much of a trailblazer but I am glad someone is. Thanks for the post!

LiberTEAS

Their Tins are really nice too. I really recommend this tea, and it makes me eager to try the others they have available, too.

Mrnixonpants

Hmmm… I’m curious now

Azzrian

Good lord this sounds yummy!!!!

LiberTEAS

@Azzrian: It is! And I’ve got some already packaged up for you! :)

Nik

What a great tasting note, thanks! I know Terri is always on the lookout for yummy breakfast blends; I’m going to send her a link to this to make sure she doesn’t miss it.

Terri HarpLady

Thanks, Nik, for calling my attention to this post! Although I try to read everyone’s reviews, sometimes I miss a few, due to my crazy busy life. This was one of the ones I missed.

This sounds awesome, & right up my alley as a lover of rich black malty tasty teas! I haven’t tried Hugo Teas yet, but it think I feel an order coming on… Nice Review, LiberTEAS. Thanks!

Hugo Tea Company

Thank you all for your kind support. The Morning’s Journey Blend was truly years in the making. About the others—we keep a limited line (never more than five), in order to keep pricing reasonable and to ensure that our teas are first-and-foremost drinkable (meaning less bitterness, natural sweetness, and smoothness).

Also, the tins aren’t just pretty—they are completely recyclable.

ashmanra

Hmmm, you are making me think about breaking my tea buying ban…

Hugo Tea Company

@Ashmanra, you are welcome to think as long as you’d like. The Morning’s Journey isn’t going anywhere…nor is Steamed Cloud…nor is Pan-Fired Pagoda…nor is Hill Station.

Did we mention that we have some of the lowest prices on Finum Strainers and Filters?

Cheers. :-)

Comments

Londo Mollari

Mrnixonpants

Hmmm… I’m curious now

Azzrian

Good lord this sounds yummy!!!!

LiberTEAS

@Azzrian: It is! And I’ve got some already packaged up for you! :)

Nik

Terri HarpLady

Hugo Tea Company

Also, the tins aren’t just pretty—they are completely recyclable.

ashmanra

Hmmm, you are making me think about breaking my tea buying ban…

Cheers. :-)