I tried brewing this again today, using a slightly lower temperature (195°F) and it has made all the difference in the world in the taste! The sage is not bitter now, only savory and distinctly sage, and this is a much tastier cup.

While measuring out this tea, I was surprised to see big pieces of the actual vanilla pod in the tea! Singing Dog Vanilla is a vanilla company that offers several vanilla products including a few teas, and it’s clear that they want the vanilla EXPERIENCED in this tea.

The vanilla is strong, sweet and absolutely creamy. I love how creamy it tastes and the texture of it too, it’s almost like I made a latte but with no milk! The black tea is also quite strong, and while the website does not indicate what type of tea it is – it only says “organic black tea” … as does the packaging … I suspect that this is an Assam because it is a sturdy, bold black tea with a hint of malt, and there is a fair amount of astringency to the cup as well, so I’m going with Assam … although I could be wrong. My taste buds tell me it’s an Assam, though.

The sage and blackberry are more of accent notes rather than strong flavors of the cup … although if the water is too hot, the sage becomes much more dominating, as I mentioned in my first tasting note of this tea. The blackberry becomes more obvious as I continue to sip, and now that I’m nearly finished with this cup, the blackberry is quite THERE … especially in the aftertaste. I have a delicious blackberry taste lingering on my palate and it’s quite lovely.

A very enjoyable tea. I think I may have to seek out more of the Singing Dog Vanilla products.

Rebecca Lynn

Sounds amazing!

Comments

Rebecca Lynn

Sounds amazing!