drank Toasted Sesame by Adagio Teas

Another purchase based upon the weirdness of it … yeah, I do that a lot. But… peanut butter is where I draw the line. (Sorry 52Teas) The smell of the dry leaves is intriguing, it reminds me of sesame oil and Chinese cuisine, and because I’m hungry, this aroma is making me even hungrier!

Because of previous issues that I’ve had with Adagio’s black teas – I found them to be just a bit bitter when brewed for the recommended time of 5 minutes – I chose to brew this just 2 1/2 minutes, which seems to be just about perfect for this tea.

I like it better than I thought I would. It possesses a very unique flavor. Adagio’s black tea base is much more tannic than the average Ceylon. It has a stronger astringency, and a tendency to get bitter if it’s brewed too long.

The sesame is toasty and nutty. However, I think that much of the sesame’s characteristics are overwhelmed a bit with this Ceylon – perhaps it would be a flavor better suited for a green tea? I don’t know… I think I need to taste it a few more times before I can really summarize my thoughts on this tea…

Cofftea

I find it funny you find a peanut butter tea more odd than toasted sesame lol :) I thought the same thing about switching to a green tea base… but I think it’s just cuz it’s an Asian flavor- I thought the same of their Thai Chai

LiberTEAS

I guess I’ve never been a big peanut butter fan. I like it ok, but, about the only way I really ever “crave” or even “want” peanut butter is in peanut butter blossom cookies and I think that is mostly because my gramma made these and they hold a special place in my heart because of that. I don’t know… I guess it’s just one of those weird things that I can’t explain … Peanut butter in tea just doesn’t sound appealing to me at all. LOL

LiberTEAS

The second infusion of these leaves proved to be much better than the first. The Ceylon base softened significantly and what remains is a very smooth tasting tea. This allowed for some of the more interesting notes of the sesame to reveal themselves – it is a little sweeter with a stronger nutty quality, and a very pleasant toasty note.

Comments

Cofftea

I am obsessed with tea!