I have tasted this only once before. I was rather curious to see how my taste buds would pick up on this blend’s smoky and earthy qualities.

I can really taste the yerba mate – more so than the Lapsang Souchong – in this blend today. Perhaps it’s because of my palate’s impaired state that the smoky qualities of the Lapsang are not so off-putting for me.

In fact, I find this blend rather enjoyable – and who knows, perhaps it’s my “gateway” to the strong, smoky type – although I rather doubt it. What I will say with absolute certainty though is that this is a great tea to enjoy now as my taste buds aren’t quite up to par, because I can actually taste something… subtle flavors would be totally lost on me at this point.

I did not steam and froth milk for my cup this time around, although I did add a generous dollop of honey. This right now seems less of a “chai” blend than a spiced blend, because the spices are less of a focus than the earthy qualities of the mate and the smoky, caramel-y flavor of the lapsang souchong. But again, that may just be because my palate is not right, right now.