drank Cupcake by Old Wilmington Tea Co

When I placed a samples order from Old Wilmington a while back, I just had to order this one. I love cupcakes. (who doesn’t, right?)

Old Wilmington does not specify what type of black tea is used for this blend, I suspect that there is some Assam in it though, because I steeped my first cup for not more than 3 minutes, and there is a bitter note to the tea – it isn’t off-putting for me, but, I would rather it not be there. This is supposed to be cupcake flavored tea. Know what I mean?

So I am going to refrain from including a numeric rating until I’ve played around with this tea a bit and get the brewing parameters just right… I do think that I will quite enjoy this tea… The vanilla is sweet and I can taste a note of caramel as well. I think that this will be one that will be quite nice as a latte.

Stephanie

How dissapointing! A tea named “Cupcake” just can’t be bitter! :)

LiberTEAS

Right? From a tea artisan’s perspective, I can understand why they would use an Assam in the blend. The malty quality of the Assam would really enhance the cupcake idea, and the depth of flavor would give it a sort of “baked” flavor.

Stephanie

I love teas with a “baked” quality! There should be a tea named “Baked Bread”. (Now I’m hungry—time for lunch!)

LiberTEAS

OMG “baked bread” would be absolutely yummy. I think that Frank should make me a cupcake tea for my birthday.

Cinoi

Oh no!! Cupcake tea should be nothing be fantastic. See what you can do and let us know how it turns out!!

Miss Sweet

There really needs to be more teas that taste like baked goods. I hope you nail the perfect brewing parameters!

Comments

Stephanie

How dissapointing! A tea named “Cupcake” just can’t be bitter! :)

Cinoi