I purchased this some time ago, but this is my first time getting around to trying it. I received it while I was sick, and since my taste buds were not up to par, I didn’t think it made much sense to be trying new teas.

But now that my taste buds are back on track, I am ready to try the ULTIMATE. I must say that when I opened the package, the aroma was pretty amazing. It smelled like chocolate syrup. Not just any chocolate syrup, either, it smelled like my personal favorite – Holy Kakow! YUM!

And since 52Teas is responsible for one of my favorite rooibos blends – Chelsea’s Chocolate Banana Rooibos – well, let’s just say that I have high hopes for this blend.

Well, it’s good…

Definitely cocoa-y, but I feel like the flavor of the rooibos is interfering with the chocolate coming through. There is a dominate cocoa powder-ish essence to this, like I sprinkled a sweetened cocoa powder on my tongue. And the rooibos flavor is coming through too, a woodsy note, but not the icky sweetener taste of the rooibos, just the earthy-woodsy flavor of rooibos.

I’m liking it, but, I think I need to try it a few more times before I can really develop my opinion about it, and I will wait until then before I give it a numeric rating.

Boiling 8 min or more
JacquelineM

I like it best paired with dessert or fruit – the contrast is really nice and brings out the richness. I also experimented a bit with sweeteners and I love agave nectar with tisanes with chocolate in them!

LiberTEAS

I added a little bit of honey to it, but next time I’ll try the agave nectar and see how it fairs.

Rabs

Wow — I thought that I was already following you! I need to sit down sometime and look at my following list and make sure that I’m following who I think I’m following. ;)

JacquelineM

Yes, I thought the honey didn’t bring out the best in it or the Neopolitan Honeybush. To me, it was almost like a different tisane with the agave!

LiberTEAS

@Rabs: I thought I was following you too, because I see many of your comments… but then I realized, “Hey… how come Rabs never posts any tasting notes!” LOL

LiberTEAS

@Jacqueline – did you get that sort of dry, cocoa-powdery kind of taste (not bitter like cocoa powder, more like a sweetened cocoa powder taste) resting on your tongue in the finish? It was so odd… not in a bad way though. Just different.

And I definitely like the tea, I think I just need to play around a bit more with it.

JacquelineM

I didn’t – maybe because I always choose this one to have with a dessert? Everything is all mixed up in my mouth!

Comments

JacquelineM

Rabs