drank Pommier by Lupicia

I think this tea was very recently blended, because when I opened the pouch, I could smell the alcohol. The alcohol is so strong that I thought that it might have been a rum flavored tisane until after I tasted it, and could taste no alcohol essence. Just tasting apple, maple, rooibos and honeybush!

I really like this combination. I prefer honeybush/rooibos blends to strictly rooibos blends because I like the way the two work together. I can taste the honey-esque tones of the honeybush without tasting that funky sweetness from the rooibos. There is also a slight nut/wood like note but not overwhelming.

The apple and maple also work well together… very autumn-ish! Yum!

Boiling 8 min or more
pinky

Hi LiberTeas, I was just wondering, is alcohol routinely used as the vehicle for flavouring in teas?

LiberTEAS

@Pinky – yes. Teas are flavored with a flavoring oil, and those oils have an alcohol base. Generally, the alcohol evaporates shortly after the oils are applied to the teas, however, if the tea is packaged immediately after flavoring, the alcohol doesn’t have time to evaporate, which is why sometimes when you open a new package of tea, you experience an alcohol odor. The alcohol evaporates when the tea is brewed, and does not affect the flavor of the tea.

Even when you find flavored teas with large chunks of fruit mixed in, more often than not, the tea has also been flavored with oils, because the fruit chunks (or chocolate chunks, or whatever), really do not influence the flavor of the tea.

Comments

pinky

LiberTEAS