drank Sweet Yerba Mate by Samovar

OK… I really… don’t like this. And I’m surprised, because I love licorice, and I have never been disappointed by Samovar before… but this… is just horrible.

Licorice and Yerba Mate do not go well together.

Just say no.

Batrachoid

What a shame. Thanks for the warning. A yerba mate/licorice blend was something I planned on trying some day at home. O_O; I would’ve assumed I just used some wrong balence and wasted so such tea!

LiberTEAS

Well, it could be the wrong balance from Samovar’s end… I don’t wish to discourage you from trying to blend your own blend. What really disappointed me was not so much that the tea itself was terrible but that it was from Samovar, because I have tasted a few from Samovar over the last couple of days, and in one of my reviews (written for Tea Review Blog but not yet published), I had mentioned that I’ve not yet been disappointed by a blend from Samovar… looks like I have to retract that statement now. :(

Batrachoid

Ouch. That’s an almost personal let down on Samovar’s part. Maybe I will try that blend. Do you know any yerba mates that could work a little better?

LiberTEAS

Well, yesterday I tried a Peppermint Yerba Mate from Samovar which was tasty. I really like Mate Factor’s Yerba Mate (their dark roast is great). Over the last year particularly, I’ve tried several yerba mate blends that I have really enjoyed (more that I’ve enjoyed than not).

Michelle Butler Hallett

Eeewww. Licorice and yerba mate just sound vile to me. But Im genuinely sorry it tasted so bad for you,

@ Batrachoid: I really like the Jumpy Monkey blend from David’s Teas: green yerba mate with coffee beans, almonds, white chocolate and cloves.

Lori

Liber TEAS- u r absolutely right! This was the worst blend ever. After one sip, I had to throw the cup away. I donated the my small tin to some unsuspecting Steepster-ite. Weirdly, Samovar’s peppermint mate does work.

LiberTEAS

@Lori – it was the same way with me. I was going to write a review about it, but I couldn’t because I couldn’t get past the first sip! I tried to take another and I just couldn’t bear to do that to myself. LOL

Batrachoid

@Michelle Butler Halltt: That does sound good, both on its own and as a possibility wth licorice. I love licorice and I like to try it with a lot of “odd” flavors. It tastes amazing with a lot of things like pineapple, sour cherry, and galangal (Er- but not all those at once).

Comments

Batrachoid

Michelle Butler Hallett