drank Guayusa Spice by Runa

I wasn’t too sure about this one when I first smelled it, I guess because it wasn’t as spicy as I had expected. It is cinnamon-y, yes, but that is about it. I guess I’m just used to masala chai blends that really play up the spicy aspect… and I expected this tisane to follow suit. But with this blend, less is definitely more.

The cinnamon and lemongrass are an interesting combination, especially when brought together with Guayusa. The earthy tones of the guayusa bring out the earthier notes of the cinnamon, making for a sweeter, savory-spiced cinnamon rather than a spicy-hot cinnamon. The vegetative flavor of the guayusa plays to the lemongrass, allowing it to really come forth in the finish and imparting a nice citrus tone in the aftertaste.

Despite those initial misgivings, I really am enjoying this one!