This is the first tea that I’m trying from the January Steepster Select Box. I have to say that this is the first box that I was kinda-sorta disappointed in, I have tried both the Moroccan Mint and the Chai (but I do love them), and this is the only tea that is new to me, and it’s Lapsang Souchong which is not a favorite of mine.

That being said, I’m actually quite enjoying this. I steeped it in my gaiwan using short steeps (quick rinse, first infusion 45 seconds, second infusion 1 minute, combined these two infusions in one cup), and the result is pleasant. Smoky, yes, but now as I allowed it to cool slightly to a drinkable temperature, I am discovering more of the pine notes in this than I have ever noticed in another Lapsang prior to this tasting. Yes, I know that the tea is smoked over pine needles, but, this is the first time I’ve actually been able to distinguish the pine flavor underneath the smoky overtures. It’s rather nice.

Wow… OK… so before trying this, I was actually disappointed in the Steepster Select box, and now that I’m tasting this, I think that even though the other teas are repeats for me, this tea (a LAPSANG SOUCHONG) has made the box worth it for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love those other teas, but, I joined the Steepster Select to explore new teas … THIS kind of experience is why I joined the Steepster Select.

The DJBooth

This has been one of my favorites for almost year now!

teaNsympathy

Great review! This is the only one I have left to try, I was putting it off as I’m not a huge Lapsang Souchong fan either, but now I’m excited!!

Comments

The DJBooth

This has been one of my favorites for almost year now!

teaNsympathy