drank SBT: Watermelon by 52teas

This will be a longer note than I usually write because there are several things I want to go over. First, I am really surprised by this tea. I had tried a few other SBTs and found them lacking in the flavour department, for me. Then, when I had lost all hope, along came this one. I brewed it two days ago and it was still in the fridge, untouched. This morning, I took some to work in a travel mug. I wasn’t getting as much flavour as I wanted so I added a tsp of sugar to my 14 oz travel mug. It is like I’m drinking a different tea, you guys. It is bursting with flavour. The interesting part that I want to bring up is the fact that at home I’m sweetening with agave, NEVER with refined white sugar. Could the choice of sweetener make this much difference??

Also, there is a woman here at work I occasionally give sips of my tea to try. She is used to drinking only straight Chinese black tea because her grandfather drinks that and ever since she was a little girl she shared her grandfather’s tea. I gave her this and she didn’t like it. Yet she loved a subdued in flavour “cheeky lychee”. I have come to the realization she would have loved all the other SBTs that fell short for me, simply because she relishes the subtle flavour, the “finish” more than the blast your mouth stuff.

The moral? These steepster ratings are so subjective.

As for this tea, dude, it is so freaking watermelony delicious I’m in danger of running into the open arms of white sugar!

ashmanra

I use raw cane sugar most of the time, but I have found that the flavor of these SBT blends blossoms like mad if you leave them in the fridge for a couple of days to mellow and meld. In fact, that is how I like all of my flavored iced black teas! Now I have to run over to Frank’s store and order watermelon flavor…

TheTeaFairy

Nooooo! Don’t give in, white sugar bad, BAD FOR YOU!!!! (lol)

Comments

ashmanra

TheTeaFairy

Nooooo! Don’t give in, white sugar bad, BAD FOR YOU!!!! (lol)

Formerly a mathematician, I’m a chef and a wine lover with a trained palate but find that I lack the linguistic prowess for tea tasting notes. Now there’s something to learn!

Toronto Canada