Pressing on with pu’erh exploration I grabbed another sample from my dear friend Dexter3657. Thank you again.

I read scribbles’ note on this beforehand. It was not giving much away anyhow so it’s not liked I cheated. In fact reading it now, as I sip, I think to myself “a lighter pu’erh?” “Nuttiness?” Huh. I dream of my French press, I think I will treat myself to a coffee after all this. I’ve been “miss” with teas today.

Well, this is not a miss because I knew drinking it would be an exercise in determination so it’s not like I expected a delicious cup. Knowing there are people out there like mrmopar — who also thought this stuff was insufferable at first but know guzzles it with great pleasure — gives me hope.

This stuff is dark, yo. I steeped for 2 minutes as the package said (after a short rinse that was my decision, not package indicated). 1.5 tsp with boiling 8 oz water. And while it is not offensive, it is not exactly enjoyable. Tastes a bit earthy, but only a little. My lack of enjoyment stems from the fact that this has no taste. Other than the recognizable pu’erh flavour I don’t get much else. … One day…

Bonnie

Instead of chucking it, use it for blending. I use puerh like this by adding some cinnamon chips and a pinch of black tea that I like. Shu resteeps well as does cinnamon so it goes a long way on a cold day.

Nxtdoor

Bonnie, you are so right! I always forget to blend things. There’s not much left to chuck, it was a small sample but I might blend the used leaves for further steeps.

Dexter3657

A little cinnamon stick in with your pu’erh is really good – I agree with Bonnie on this one. I sent you that one because it is cheap generic pu’erh – was trying to help you see the difference between the ok and the really good. Shurg you might just not like it. I’m drinking Mandala Special dark right now (tasting note to come). OMG this is like cocoa powder from an excellent chocolatier (? sp is that not a word?).

Comments

Bonnie

Nxtdoor

Dexter3657

Formerly a mathematician, I’m a chef and a wine lover with a trained palate but find that I lack the linguistic prowess for tea tasting notes. Now there’s something to learn!

Toronto Canada