drank Phoenix Pearl by Zen Tea

This is the first grown-up straight black I took to bed. I mean that in a non-dirty way: I made a small pot and brought it upstairs to the bedroom. I rarely do that with this type of tea because I never love it enough to commit, it’s usually one cup that I know I’ll hate but have it anyway. Not tonight. I took a chance with this one, made a pot so I have enough to satisfy me for a while and I don’t have to break the spell and go back downstairs.

I teased it with just a little breath of honey although I have to say there’s not much change in flavour even with the addition. Probably because I didn’t add enough but I didn’t want too much in there.

I am surprised at how nice this is. How smooth. I mean, black teas to me are strong, astringent and I can only drink them if I add quite a bit of stuff to them. straight black teas usually scare me.

This came from TheTeaFairy and after spending the day oh so pleasantly I decided to stretch the feeling and make this one. For a second, as I smelled the brewed aroma I thought it smelled just a bit like a puerh. Not fishy but aromatic and earthy. This is no puerh of course but to me the aftertaste is a bit… bready. Like puerh can sometimes be.

TheTeaFairy loves this one according to her note which also says this is “so cute to look at”. I needed something cute to look at, remember I’ve been all alone for a week now. It is indeed pretty to look at, all curls. It also has a pleasant, inviting colour, not the way some black teas brew dark and menacing.

It’s amber, smooth and tastes like an unsweetened roll of sorts. I’m pretty impressed. Thanks, TheTeaFairy — i’m sure this is a tea you thought I’d hate and are just sending it to take me out of the comfort zone. Surprise!

TheTeaFairy

So happy you enjoyed your day and this tea!!

Terri HarpLady

I love taking tea to bed, especially first thing in the morning :)

Comments

TheTeaFairy

So happy you enjoyed your day and this tea!!

Terri HarpLady

I love taking tea to bed, especially first thing in the morning :)

Toronto Canada