Ooops.

1.25 tsp, steeped, er, God knows how long forgotten on my desk (11+ minutes), drunk bare.

I noticed yesterday that a five-minute steep brought out bitterness in the Tiger, but there’s no bitterness today. What I’ve got here, in my covered mug, is a thick and creamy Assam concentrate that remains, somehow, gentle. Not bitter. Not malty enough to strip paint (though there is a lovely pucker), and nowhere near acidic enough to upset my stomac, as some stronglybrewed black teas will. Floral and plum notes round out a chewy liquor that may well keep me awake through the night. A&D are correct; this one forgives a long steep. This is a really good Assam, mellow and easy-going, and well worth the price.

LiberTEAS

Wow… amazing. I don’t think I’ve encountered an Assam that would allow an oversteep.

Michelle Butler Hallett

This one, and the Assam from the Kopili Estate. Gingia Estate will too, to a point. But generally, Assams brewed too long make me nauseous. Banaspaty just gets murky and gross.

Comments

LiberTEAS

Michelle Butler Hallett

Writer and tea fiend. Author of DELUDED YOUR SAILORS, SKY WAVES, DOUBLE-BLIND, and THE SHADOW SIDE OF GRACE.

I prefer straight teas but will try almost anything … so long as it’s not tainted with hibiscus. I loathe hibiscus.

Oolongs and blacks are my favourites.

St John’s, Newfoundland, Canada