5 tsp for 1,000mL water @ 95C, Breville, four minutes 30 seconds, basket cycle on.

Ohhhhh, yes, baby. I’ve been waiting to treat myself with this lovely Keemun in the Breville. Today’s been rough. Tonight means Keemun Hao Ya. (Breville Tea Maker, you are my friend.)

Toasty, winey. Orchids notes. Some smoke. Some grainy/cereal notes I’ve not picked up before, a bit like Grape Nuts; I guess that’s on the toasty end of the spectrum.

Addition: I normally drink my tea bare — no milk or sugar — but this evening I added maybe 2 tsp of 2% milk to this Keemun. The milk mutes the smokiness at first, yet seems to increase the smoke in the finish. Milk als amps up the wineyness. It’s nice, but I don’t enjoy it as much.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Yeah, tossing the milky tea. Not for me.

Bonnie

Sounds fenom….some Keemuns adding milk brings out the toasted bread…almost like a basso profundo in music…a very deep note of home milled bread. I can’t say that I’ve had a keemun that’s been winey really yet though. Then, maybe I’ve been spoiled by shu.

gmathis

Oooh—Grape Nuts notes! Sounds excellent!

Comments

Michelle Butler Hallett

Yeah, tossing the milky tea. Not for me.

Bonnie

gmathis

Oooh—Grape Nuts notes! Sounds excellent!

Writer and tea fiend. Author of DELUDED YOUR SAILORS, SKY WAVES, DOUBLE-BLIND, and THE SHADOW SIDE OF GRACE.

I prefer straight teas but will try almost anything … so long as it’s not tainted with hibiscus. I loathe hibiscus.

Oolongs and blacks are my favourites.

St John’s, Newfoundland, Canada