1.5 tsp for 300mL water @ 90C, steeped 2 minutes 30 seconds Western style.

I’ve been wanting to try this blend for a long time. Frankincense is one of my favourite scents, and to think of it in tea …

This works. This works so very well. My first thought was “I want the goji berries out and a pinch of lapsang in,” but I’ve changed my mind. I find goji berries get a bit too sweet for me, so I might try a pinch of lapsang later in a second infusion. Frankinsence cries out for smoke, but I’ll need to be careful, because the tieguanyin could get overwhelmed.

An unusual but very well-balanced blend. No one flavour dominates, and using tieguanyin instead of a black tea as the base was inspired. As for tasting notes, I haven’t got anything much to add to the Verdant write-up; they describe it well. I can say that the frankincense gives a slight pine note to the finish, which, with the bergamot, is intriguing.

Michelle Butler Hallett

I added a scant pinch of Andrew and Dunham’s Caravan Resurrected to my second infusion. I needed much less — just a whiff of smoke if what I’m craving here, maybe even a pinch of Keemun instead. I am still quarrelling with the goji berries; I find their scent reminds me of bubble gum. I’ll give this blend another go this afternoon.

Comments

Michelle Butler Hallett

Writer and tea fiend. Author of DELUDED YOUR SAILORS, SKY WAVES, DOUBLE-BLIND, and THE SHADOW SIDE OF GRACE.

I prefer straight teas but will try almost anything … so long as it’s not tainted with hibiscus. I loathe hibiscus.

Oolongs and blacks are my favourites.

St John’s, Newfoundland, Canada