1 sachet for 250mL water, drunk bare.

I’ve only seen Harney and Sons Tea in my city at Christmas time, and then only at the ChaptersIndigo (like Barnes & Noble) book store. The tins are pretty, especially the big ones that hold 30 sachets, but they’re also expensive. And tins that only show up around Christmas usually aren’t the highest quality in the land.

But I’ve done some research on Harney this year, and today I broke down and bought a 20-sachet tin of Paris and a 30-sachet tin of Tower of London. (Dang — thought the ToL was loose tea. Oh, well.)

Flavoured black tea and I often don’t get along. I found an Earl Grey I really like earlier this year and nearly tap-danced for joy. Too, too often the flavours mask a poor quality base tea.

Paris. Hmm. Visited Paris in May of 1989 and left a large chunk of my heart there. Totally hope to return. Paris smelled to me those weeks of fruit, coffee, diesel (?), dirty river (the Seine), dog turds, fresh baguettes, brie, oranges butter, chocolate and people. I loved it. A lively, not always pretty smell.

The Paris tea, however, is awfully pretty. The tin promises “natural and art [artifical, I presume] vanilla, fruit and citrus flavors.” Apparently this is a “fruit black tea with a hint of lemony bergamot.” It’s a pretty subtle hint. I can catch awhiff of it from the dry sachets, but in the brew all I’m getting is limp China black tea and a really heavy vanilla flavor. Almost sickly sweet. And grenadine — yeah, this reminds me of a horror I once tried called Vanilla Monk’s Blend. Oh. Yuk.

I really wanted to like this tea. But, for me, I gotta file it with dozens of other flavoured black teas: Don’t Bother.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Seriously, have I got a bad batch? Other reviewers are over the moon about Paris.

Meghann M

I have a tin of loose Paris if you would like a sample to see how it compares. I got it direct from Harney online along with Florence, Cranberry Autumn and Sally’s Secret if you would care to try any of those.

LiberTEAS

I recommend the loose leaf vs. the sachet. The rule that loose leaf is better than bagged seems particularly true when it comes to Harney’s tea!

Michelle Butler Hallett

Meghann, thank you, that’s very kind. I’m only gonna say No thanks — with sincere gratititude — for now because I did get a pile of teas I really like for Christmas, and I’m just not that intrigued by flavoured black teas. I wouldn’t want you to waste your time and postage on a grumpy curmuedgeon like me.

Comments

Michelle Butler Hallett

Meghann M

LiberTEAS

Michelle Butler Hallett

Writer and tea fiend. Author of DELUDED YOUR SAILORS, SKY WAVES, DOUBLE-BLIND, and THE SHADOW SIDE OF GRACE.

I prefer straight teas but will try almost anything … so long as it’s not tainted with hibiscus. I loathe hibiscus.

Oolongs and blacks are my favourites.

St John’s, Newfoundland, Canada