1 scant TB for 450mL water, bare.

Musky, smoky, peppery. As I’ve said before, an excellent black needle Yunnan. I hoard this one a bit, as ordering from Stash in Oregon, US, gets expensive — nearly $15.00 in shipping alone to Canada — so I order a lot at once. My favourite Yunnan. Dancing tastebuds here this morning.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Even cooled off, it’s still delicious. Honey and floral notes now.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Notes on a second steep …

I never used to steep tea more than once. That comes from snobbiness, ignorance, and bad experience in re-steeping low quality tea. Lately, after experimenting with some oolongs, and after a good hard look at my bank balance, I am re-steeping much more often. Some teas and tisanes re-teep better than others, of course.

This Black Needle offering from Stash will lose a lot of pepper and musk, but a second steep is still delicious and refreshing — much more mineral this time round, as I think I’ve noted before, and a bit more earth.

“Expensive” tea can, of course, be quite economical.

Comments

Michelle Butler Hallett

Even cooled off, it’s still delicious. Honey and floral notes now.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Notes on a second steep …

“Expensive” tea can, of course, be quite economical.

Writer and tea fiend. Author of DELUDED YOUR SAILORS, SKY WAVES, DOUBLE-BLIND, and THE SHADOW SIDE OF GRACE.

I prefer straight teas but will try almost anything … so long as it’s not tainted with hibiscus. I loathe hibiscus.

Oolongs and blacks are my favourites.

St John’s, Newfoundland, Canada