1 rounded TB for 450mL water, half a packet of stevia (equiv 2 tsp sugar)

It’s baaa-aaaack! DavidsTea has been tweaking the recipe a bit during this blend’s long absence, and they’ve re-classified it as one of their green tea blends versus a rooibos blend. That said, the amount of caffeine in the old blend could not have been very high; I regularly drank Super Chocolate before bed with no problems. The green tea that is in here is much more noticeable in appearance: long, dark and twisted.

The bright — sometimes fruity — taste remains as a dusting of cinnamon plays with the gentle green rooibos. I am seeing much more green tea in this than before. The cocoa bean pieces seen bigger. While this tisane hardly tastes like a cup of drinking chocolate, it does now taste a bit more of naked cocoa, and the mouth feel is creamier.

Much less of a fruity taste, I’m finding, more of a mellow, almost mediative blend of gentle cocoa, tea and rooibos. Yes, “gentle” is getting used a lot here. The tweaks to Super Chocolate are not major, but they are lovely. If anything, this unique and terribly healthy tisane (I credit Super Chocolate with a major reduction in the number of colds I got this past fall and winter) is better.

Long live Super Chocolate.

PS — I also used slightly cooler water than usual. Directions say to use 98C water; I suggest cooler than that, maybe 87 out of respect for the green, but not much cooler or the rooibos won’t develop.

Writer and tea fiend. Author of DELUDED YOUR SAILORS, SKY WAVES, DOUBLE-BLIND, and THE SHADOW SIDE OF GRACE.

I prefer straight teas but will try almost anything … so long as it’s not tainted with hibiscus. I loathe hibiscus.

Oolongs and blacks are my favourites.

St John’s, Newfoundland, Canada